Do you enjoy working in a team environment? Are you an experienced administrative professional looking for a new and exciting opportunity? Do you excel in providing exceptional client service while working in a fast-paced, innovative and collaborative environment in which you learn everyday?
McInnes Cooper is seeking a motivated and proactive Legal Assistant to join our Labour & Employment Legal Support Services team in our Halifax office for a fourteen (14) month term position. The incumbent will provide high quality administrative support within our labour & employment team; working to ensure all clients receive the highest level of service.
As a Legal Assistant, you will be responsible for:
- Working in a team environment assisting in the daily functions of a dynamic Labour & Employment practice group;
- Providing executive level administrative support, including filing, photocopying, drafting correspondence, transcribing dictation and preparing documentation;
- Proactive calendar management including planning, organizing, and coordinating: meetings, conference calls, and events including making appropriate logistical arrangements;
- Managing and responding to a high volume of correspondence via email and phone;
- Reviewing, proof reading, and preparing client and other business materials, including client documents, reports, memos, briefings, and presentations;
- Coordinating and arranging travel;
- Preparing expenses and billing for processing, as well as entering time; and,
- Challenging yourself and your team every day; and having fun while doing so!
The successful candidate will possess the following skill set:
- The ideal candidate will have an Office Administration, Paralegal or Legal Administration diploma or other related education;
- Minimum two (2) years experience in an administrative role; experience working in Labour & Employment or Litigation law would be considered as asset;
- Exceptional technology skills, with proficiency in all aspects of Microsoft Office and a genuine interest in keeping up to date with the newest technology;
- Excel in a demanding, high-paced team environment, be highly detail-oriented, and flexible to changing priorities;
- Exceptional communication skills, a special focus on client service and the highest degree of professionalism; and,
- A positive attitude and enjoy working in a collaborative team environment.
Our team members have access to:
- Defined-benefit pension plan;
- Firm-paid health and dental benefits;
- Health spending account;
- Personal spending account;
- Time for you:
- Including vacation, personal and sick days.
- Balancing life:
- Work from home / Flex work options available for many team members.
- Our Team - we can't say enough about our people! You will be part of a collaborative, collegial, respectful and caring team; and,
- Have the opportunity to participate in a variety of teams including Collective Social Responsibility, Wellness, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, Special Events and so many more!
McInnes Cooper is committed to building an environment that is diverse and inclusive, representative of the communities in which we serve. We welcome and encourage applications from persons who identify as racially visible, Indigenous, persons with disabilities, women in underrepresented roles and members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community. Applicants from these equity groups may self-identify through our on-line application process.
As part of the recruitment process, MC will provide accommodation(s) to candidates with disabilities. If you require an accommodation(s) to participate in the recruitment process with us, please contact at Alana Burgess at [email protected] or 902.455.8260.
We're looking for
A little bit about us
McInnes Cooper is among Canada's 25 largest business law firms and the exclusive member of Lex Mundi for Atlantic Canada, the world's leading network of independent law firms. Providing strategic counsel to industry-leading clients here and abroad for more than 160 years, we continue to thrive through our relentless focus on client success.
Our mission? To turn our knowledge, skills, and effort into value for our clients and our communities through dedicated leadership.
At McInnes Cooper you will find a team that values you. We recognize that our members are key in delivering outstanding client service and we provide a collaborative, professional environment with a member focused culture. We are committed to creating an inclusive work environment that values, respects and supports different perspectives, cultures and experiences.
Diversity & Inclusion
We recognize that our individual differences make us a stronger, more adaptable law firm. We embrace these differences and give all of our members the opportunity to develop their unique skills and talents.
Collective Social Responsibility
We are recognized as a leader and innovator amongst Canadian law firms in the field of Collective Social Responsibility. Our people are concerned citizens who enjoy giving back. Together, we focus on developing ongoing partnerships with community organizations that do amazing work, often despite limited resources and public awareness. As a firm, we have the ability to respond with contributions of time and monetary support, and our people give generously of their skills and effort.
Pro Bono Legal Services
Through our Pro Bono Program, we provide legal counsel to disadvantaged people and organizations that have difficulty gaining access to justice on matters of public interest.
Like any large organization, our operations leave a footprint on the environment. From paper use and waste production to transportation and energy consumption, we continually look for opportunities to minimize that impact.