Do you enjoy working in a team environment? Do you excel in providing exceptional client service while working in a fast-paced, innovative and collaborative environment in which you learn everyday?
McInnes Cooper is seeking a motivated and proactive Paralegal to join a team of experienced Estates and Trusts Paralegals in our Halifax office. The incumbent will provide high quality support within our team; working to ensure all clients receive the highest level of service.
What you'll do
As an Estates & Trusts Paralegal, you will be responsible for:
- Liaising with clients and occasionally attending client meetings;
- Maintenance of the database of Estate Planning original document inventory;
- Drafting regional estate planning and trust documentation using existing document automation software and precedents;
- Maintenance and utilization of estate planning and estate administration precedent system;
- Maintain and monitor estate administration files;
- Respond to requests for documentation relating to deaths of individuals and estate searches;
- Maintain accounting procedures relating to estate files including drafting estate inventories and estate accounting;
- Deal with estate assets including transfer of securities, assisting executors with the disposal of assets such as real estate and other assets;
- Monitor changes to provincial legislation and federal income tax legislation relating to wills and estates;
- Liaise with Registrars of Probate, bank personnel, financial consultants, appraisers, bonding companies etc.;
- Being creative, sharing ideas, learning from others and sharing your skills and knowledge; and,
- Challenging yourself and your team every day; and having fun while doing so!
What you'll need
The successful candidate will possess the following skill set:
- The ideal candidate will have a Paralegal or Legal Administration diploma or other related education;
- Minimum one (1) year experience as a Legal Assistant or Paralegal preferably within the estates and trusts field;
- Exceptional technology skills, with proficiency in all aspects of Microsoft Office and a genuine interest in keeping up to date with the newest technology;
- Excel in a demanding, high-paced team environment, be highly detail-oriented, and flexible to changing priorities;
- Exceptional communication skills, a special focus on client service and the highest degree of professionalism; and,
- A positive attitude and enjoy working in a collaborative team environment.
We're looking for
A little bit about us
McInnes Cooper is among Canada's 25 largest business law firms and the exclusive member of Lex Mundi for Atlantic Canada, the world's leading network of independent law firms. Providing strategic counsel to industry-leading clients here and abroad for more than 160 years, we continue to thrive through our relentless focus on client success.
Our mission? To turn our knowledge, skills, and effort into value for our clients and our communities through dedicated leadership.
At McInnes Cooper you will find a team that values you. We recognize that our members are key in delivering outstanding client service and we provide a collaborative, professional environment with a member focused culture. We are committed to creating an inclusive work environment that values, respects and supports different perspectives, cultures and experiences.
Diversity & Inclusion
We recognize that our individual differences make us a stronger, more adaptable law firm. We embrace these differences and give all of our members the opportunity to develop their unique skills and talents.
Collective Social Responsibility
We are recognized as a leader and innovator amongst Canadian law firms in the field of Collective Social Responsibility. Our people are concerned citizens who enjoy giving back. Together, we focus on developing ongoing partnerships with community organizations that do amazing work, often despite limited resources and public awareness. As a firm, we have the ability to respond with contributions of time and monetary support, and our people give generously of their skills and effort.
Pro Bono Legal Services
Through our Pro Bono Program, we provide legal counsel to disadvantaged people and organizations that have difficulty gaining access to justice on matters of public interest.
Like any large organization, our operations leave a footprint on the environment. From paper use and waste production to transportation and energy consumption, we continually look for opportunities to minimize that impact.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Our team members have access to:
- Defined-benefit pension plan
- Firm-paid health and dental benefits
- Health spending account
- Personal spending account
- Time for you:
- Including vacation, personal and sick days.
- Balancing life:
- Work from home / Flex work options available for many team members
- Our Team - we can't say enough about our people! You will be part of a collaborative, collegial, respectful and caring team.
- Participating in a variety of teams including our Corporate Social Responsibility, Wellness, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion and so many more.