The Municipality of Kings is one of the fastest growing regions in Nova Scotia. It has a unique blend of urban and rural communities and offers a wonderful quality of life to its residents. Finance and IT Services requires an experienced GIS Technician to provide GIS and related technical support to its service area and the Municipality.
What you'll do
Reporting to the Manager of IT and Finance, the successful candidate’s duties will be to:
- Maintain and update GIS databases in the ESRI SDE environment, Enterprise Platform (with versioning) following proper quality control protocols in liaison with other Geomatics Professionals in IT Services;
- Prepare maps (thematic, presentation, reference, or location) and/or digital data and related materials for sharing with internal or external partners for requests, meetings and projects;
- Geoprocessing of GIS data for response to staff/external requests for information, statistical or otherwise;
- Maintenance of relational databases and integration of external data into the existing databases;
- Perform detailed digitization which may involve scanning technology, digital photo manipulation and interpretation;
- Attend meetings as required to provide GIS Technical expertise on various projects and initiatives;
- Assist with mailing lists, analyzing GIS information and conducting property research, including title and deed searches;
- Compile, analyze and manage demographic, land use and development statistics;
- Support major project work which may include analysis of floodplains, coastal erosion, wellfields, historical development patterns and agricultural activities;
- And, perform other duties as required, such as writing Data Sharing Agreements, preparing agenda/minutes for meetings, managing website content, prepare other design elements for reports or presentations, and other general administrative support as needed.
What you'll need
Minimum Qualifications for the position:
- Geomatics Technician Diploma or equivalent education / training with 2 to 4 years related experience;
- Extensive knowledge of cartographic elements and principles;
- Competency in statistical analysis, and geoprocessing methods and tools;
- Experience with the following software applications or equivalents: ArcGIS 10.3, ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Pro, NS Property Online Services, and graphic design programs;
- Adept at reading survey plans, researching property titles and deed searches;
- Familiar with municipal land use planning tools and processes;
- Working knowledge of civic addressing and NSCAF is considered an asset;
- Strong knowledge of computer applications within a Windows environment with an emphasis on Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel;
- Strong technical writing and communication skills;
- And, hold a valid driver’s license to conduct possible site visits if required.
We're looking for
A little bit about us
The Municipality of The County of Kings
The Municipality of Kings is one of the fastest growing regions in Nova Scotia. It has a unique blend of urban and rural communities and offers a wonderful quality of life to its residents.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
This is a unionized 1 year term position that is governed in accordance with the Collective Agreement between the Municipality of the County of Kings and CUPE, Local 2618-01. Hours of work are Monday through Friday 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM (35 Hours per week). Compensation includes a competitive salary (Level 6 of Unionized Scale: $49,239 to $56,502), benefits plan (includes 3 weeks’ vacation), and pension (8% Employer / 8% Employee Match). Please submit your application by 4:30 PM Friday, December 18, 2017.
- Please demonstrate in your application how you meet the above qualifications.
- To apply for this position, click on the “Apply Online Now” button.
- Benefits of applying online - The system will allow us to send an immediate confirmation email that your application has been received and we will notify you the status of your application once applicants have been shortlisted.
- Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer or will result in termination of your employment. Checks may include one or all of the following checks: Reference / Employment Verification, Criminal Background, and Education.
The Municipality of the County of Kings is committed to building and fostering an inclusive and welcoming workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer.