POSITION: General Worker (Temporary, Full Time) (NSGEU Local 170)
DEPARTMENT: Facilities Management
SALARY: $16.74/hr (Probation); $17.24/hr (Permanent)
Hours of Work: 3:00PM to 11:00PM
Days of Work: Monday - Friday
Employees working a different shift schedule may apply and will be considered for this job opportunity.
Under the direction of the Manager, Custodial and Administration and the Custodial Services Supervisors, the General Worker performs cleaning, waste collection, setup and office moves. The General Worker may also work under the direction of a General Worker, Lead Hand.
What you'll do
Duties as a General Worker include, but are not limited to:
- Performs cleaning functions.
- Cleans, polishes and dusts furniture, walls, floors, doors, woodwork, windows and washrooms.
- Provides maintenance to floors using appropriate equipment.
- Cleans chalkboards and whiteboards.
- Empties waste bins and collects general office, classroom and residence waste.
- Performs general housekeeping duties and recycling duties.
- Setup of functions and events.
- Moves furniture and equipment.
- Reports required maintenance items and repairs to supervisor or enters into logbook.
- Reports observed safety concerns to supervisor or enters into the logbook.
- Performs, as required other duties related to the above.
What you'll need
To be the successful applicant for this position, you will possess:
- A Grade 11 High School Certificate with three months or more related experience in institutions of comparable size or with a cleaning firm.
- The ability to work in a team environment with a common purpose while maintaining positive working relationships with others.
- The ability to communicate effectively in a positive manner conveying and responding to information.
- The ability to interact with customers in a positive manner while maintaining a positive working relationship and delivering quality service.
- The ability to work alone and complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- The ability to take initiative in completing tasks with minimal instruction.
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Visit our web site at www.smu.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
Competition Opens: October 8, 2019 Competition Closes: October 18, 2019
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary's University promotes a Healthy Campus including a Scent-Free environment and a Smoke-Free Campus