POSITION: General Worker, Lead Hand (Temporary, Full Time) (NSGEU Local 170)
START DATE: April 6, 2020; End Date: September 7, 2020
NUMBER OF POSITIONS AVAILABLE: Three (3) positions available
DEPARTMENT: Facilities Management
SALARY: $17.74 per hour (Probationary) $18.24 per hour (Permanent)
HOURS/DAYS OF WORK: Rotating shifts
The Lead Hand, General Worker works under the supervision of the Manager, Custodial and the Supervisors, Custodial Services. The Lead Hand, General Worker directs and assigns the work of General Workers and performs the work of a General Worker.
What you'll do
Duties in this position include, but are not limited to:
- Performing the duties of a General Worker: Cleaning, waste collecting, setups, and office moving.
- Assigning General Workers to specific areas of work.
- Verifying that assignments are completed and that the work procedures are properly followed.
- Providing guidance and instruction to General Workers in the performance of their duties, as required.
- Ordering cleaning supplies and performing minor maintenance to equipment.
- Scheduling a general worker to perform projects and meet a standard.
- Reporting where work or an area does not meet the standard. In the absence of management, reporting on such things as absenteeism, lateness, unauthorized absence from duty.
- In absence of management, may excuse an employee from duty if the employee's condition places himself or the University in jeopardy (i.e., sickness, accident, abusive use of alcohol or drugs, etc.) and reporting such incidents to Custodial Manager or Custodial Supervisor.
- Reporting to Custodial Supervisor via email following each completed shift to update completed work and projects.
What you'll need
To be the successful General Worker, Lead Hand you are an individual with a High School diploma and a minimum of two (2) years or more related experience. In addition to a proven ability to work in a team environment with a common purpose while maintaining positive working relationships with others, the successful candidate is an individual able to communicate (both verbally and in writing), interact and convey and respond to information effectively with colleagues and customers in a positive manner while maintaining positive working relationships and delivering quality service. The ability to work alone and complete tasks with minimal supervision, as well as take initiative in completing tasks with minimal instruction is also essential.
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Visit our web site at www.smu.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Employees working a different shift schedule may apply and will be considered for this job opportunity.
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
Competition Opens: February 12, 2020 Competition Closes: February 22, 2020
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary's University promotes a Healthy Campus including a Scent-Free environment and a Smoke-Free Campus