Position: Front Desk Information Clerk (NSGEU Local 79) (Permanent)
Department: Athletics & Recreation
Annual Salary: $35,448 - $40,685 (Group 5)
Hours/Days of Work: Monday to Friday, 5:45am - 1:45pm
Under the supervision of the Custodial Manager, the Front Desk Information Clerk provides customer service to internal and external clients; provides information to current and potential customers on the services the facilities offer. Provides access services and support to the Athletics & Recreation facilities and ensures adherence to departmental policies and procedures. Oversees day to day activities of the Front Desk and facilities, and ensures work assigned to part-time staff is completed. Works collaboratively with the Athletics & Recreation team to ensure the timely, accurate and effective delivery of service.
What you'll do
Duties as the Front Desk Information Clerk include, but are not limited to:
- Directs and co-ordinates part-time staff; gives feedback and input with regards to hiring, disciplining and termination.
- Ensures the completion of facilities operation event task sheets and facilities operations' tasks on evenings and weekends.
- Prepares shift schedule for part-time staff, and is responsible for calling staff in or letting staff leave as necessary.
- Trains part-time staff on computer entry, laundry, facilities procedures (opening and closing), and customer service and sales; Assists Custodial Manager with on-line training modules.
- Completes payroll sheets for bi weekly payroll and provides to Secretary IV - Operations.
- Greets members and non-members visiting the facilities. Controls access to the facilities by checking identification cards and/or signing in.
- Answers inquiries by telephone, email, social media and in person; provides information on memberships and Department of Athletics & Recreation information in general, inclusive of varsity, intramural, and summer camps inquiries; handles general complaints presented at the Front Desk, resolves scheduling conflicts when possible. When necessary, directs other complaints to the appropriate department if cannot resolve immediately. Completes and circulates disturbance reports.
- Handles emergencies after regular office hours and completes appropriate reports (i.e. injury, fire alarms, etc.).
- Provides standard services to members, such as signing out equipment and providing towel service. Maintains and launders towel inventory.
- Provides service to Varsity teams and clubs regarding uniform and practice gear laundering services, and storage of equipment.
- Takes and records bookings for squash courts and Dauphinee Centre after regular business hours and as a backup. Refers other requests to Custodial Manager and/or Secretary IV - Operations.
- Conducts tours of Athletics & Recreation facilities.
- Supports the Co-ordinator of Marketing and Sales in sales of facilities' memberships and programming, as required.
- Presents member concerns and suggestions at regular meetings
- Sells and processes SMUFit memberships, Summer Camps registration, Active Living Registrations, Squash Clinics, Classes, Trainer Programs and locker rentals. Completes forms, prepares invoices, and receives payments, issues supplies and locker numbers.
- Utilizes the Fusion software system daily. Takes the lead champions role in selling memberships (data-entry), camp registrations, facility bookings, Active-Living sales, and any other sales.
- As requested, contact members regarding class cancellation or facilities closure by telephone, email or social media if necessary.
- Sells pro shop inventory at the Front Desk; Orders a small selection of pro shop items such as locks, squash balls, etc.
- Prepares the facilities to open each day by counting cash, setting up front desk area, turning on washers and dryers, opening weight room, turn steam room on, checking spa area, walking about to check entire building for set ups, general issues and maintenance issues, etc.
- Prepares the facilities to close each day by counting cash deposits and completing cash reconciliation report, turning off washers and dryers, closing weight room, checking tasks completed by operations, and front desk staff, etc.
- Ensures that the facilities are secure by checking all entrances and making sure that the building is empty.
- Handles cash on a daily basis. Prepares bank deposits for approval and locks safe.
- Follows safe practices and risk management, remains aware of liability issues and acts proactively.
- Prepares requisitions for signature or uses P card for office supplies, laundry, chemicals, etc. for the Front Desk area.
What you'll need
To be the successful Front Desk Information Clerk you will possess completion of high school and a minimum one (1) year of related work experience. You are committed to customer service and are able to function independently and as part of a team and demonstrate excellent customer service and communication skills. Experience working in a cross-cultural environment and working with a POS will be considered assets. Community College diploma in a related field of study will be considered an asset.
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Visit our web site at www.smu.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
Competition Opens: October 30, 2019 Competition Closes: November 13, 2019
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary's University promotes a Healthy Campus including a Scent-Free environment and a Smoke-Free Campus
Nurse Manager, Student Health Services (APC) (Permanent)
Halifax, NS, CA
8-Month LTA - Int. Development Studies Program
Halifax, NS, CA
8-Month, Full-Time Sessional Appointment, Assistant Professor - Department of Psychology
Halifax, NS, CA
8-Month Limited Term Appointment, Assistant Professor - International Development Studies Program
Halifax, NS, CA
8-Month Limited Term Appointment - Philosophy
Halifax, NS, CA