The Chapman Group is happy to support our client, Select Community Funeral Homes Inc., in its search for a Controller to join its team.
Select Community Funernal Homes Inc. (Select) is a family-owned business operating in the funeral service industry. It has 15 operating partnerships in 3 provinces, representing 29 total locations comprising funeral homes, cemeteries, and crematoriums. Select firmly believes that the locally owned funeral home has a strong future and helps enable local and/or family succession through its partnerships.
Select provides business support services such as accounting, bookkeeping oversight, year-end compliance, creditor relationships and compliance, marketing support, budgeting support, etc. This enables the local operating partner to focus on what they want to do and what they do best - serving the families that need them most.
What you'll do
The successful candidate would be in a leadership position in the Business Support Centre and would have the following key areas of responsibility:
- Evaluate growth opportunities with ownership as they arise. This includes financial forecasting, net present value analysis, capital structure suggestions, and providing critiques on the analysis done by ownership.
- Assist ownership in regular reviews of partner operations through the use of financial analysis and KPIs.
- Ad hoc responsibilities in support of the overall objectives of Select and our Business Support Centre team
- Direct supervision and direction of Select accounting personnel including recruitment and retention.
- Ensuring the year-end close schedule is on track and providing assistance to accounting personnel, as required, to meet established deadlines.
- Be available for telephone and email support for all Select operating partners on the topics of budgeting, accounting, and taxation.
- Take responsibility for financials policies, systems, and processes, including internal controls, and identify opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Manage creditor relationships and respond to queries on behalf of our operating partners, including financial reporting required by loan agreement covenants.
- Develop annual budgets for each operating partner and, in conjunction with ownership, review them and develop actionable plans to achieve them
- Monthly HST filings and remittances
- Annual filing of T4s, T4As, and T5s.
- Review and provide accounting staff with proper corporate tax instalment amounts for monthly remittances.
- Oversee the coordination and activities of independent Chartered Professional Accountants, ensuring issues are resolved, compliance requirements are met, and the preparation of financial statements are in accordance with GAAP.
- Oversight and responsibility for monthly close processes, including review of bank reconciliations, AR and AP subledgers, set up and expensing of material prepaid expenses, proper classifications of additions and disposals for capital expenditures, reconciliation of Visa payable accounts, verification of creditor loan balances, GL review of sales and expense accounts for large, unusual, or mis-posted transactions.
What you'll need
The successful candidate would ideally possess the following:
- CPA designation is required.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting or a related field of study.
- 7+ years of relevant experience in a mid to senior level role.
- Experience with and knowledge of CaseWare, TaxPrep, and Quickbooks is considered an asset.
- Experience preparing corporate tax returns is considered an asset.
- Demonstrated strong and broad financial acumen with a strategic mindset.
- Superior forecasting methods and techniques with advanced analytical and quantitative abilities.
- Ability to get into the details to get the job done while seeing the bigger picture.
- Knowledge and understanding of ASPE for financial reporting.
- Attention to detail and ability to spot errors or idiosyncrasies.
- Articulate, with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Collaborative with the ability to interact comfortably with the leadership team.
- Ability to think creatively.
- Confidentially minded at all times.
- Experience in both the public and private sectors is an asset.
We're looking for
A little bit about us
The Chapman Group
We are happy to support our client with this recruitment.