Purpose of Position
Manage the organization, operations and fiscal activities of the Plant. Plan and develop systems, tools and procedures to achieve, and continuously improve the operating efficiency and quality aspects of the facility. Provide for a healthy and safe work environment. Manage and direct staff in accordance with company policies and in adherence to regulatory requirements. Responsible for hiring, providing motivation and consistent fair direction, as well to provide training and a platform for continuous improvement for all employees.
This position reports to: Associate Director
This position has the following positions reporting to it:
- Chief Engineer
- Production Manager
- Maintenance Manager
- Operations Lead
- Operations Administrator
- Receptionist/Office Admin
This position is responsible to:
- Drive plant success through the management and achievement of the annual operational and fiscal objectives of the Food Production Facility including: staffing levels, budgets, financial goals, programs and policy.
- Ensure compliance to all process and product quality and regulatory parameters.
- Provide a safe and healthy work environment for all employees and adhering to CSLP Safety Policies and regulatory legislation.
- Foster and lead an open communicative team environment.
- Schedule and oversee effective and timely Operations Meetings.
- Develop and maintain a close working relationship with the GM, BDM's, Demand Planners, OH&S, and Fleet to ensure we are servicing the business, with a focus on schedule adherence, quality and continuous improvement.
- Continually evaluate operations and employee performance and provide direction as required.
- Evaluate and provide training to all employees as needed to add value and increase development.
Duties & Accountabilities (Responsibilities):
The following specific job responsibilities relate to this position:
- Property - ultimate responsibility for the maintenance, security, and safety of the facility and property.
- Annual Operating Plan -works with Corporate Leadership team to develop and manage the annual plant budget (i.e., plant overhead, CAPEX, processing labour, continuous improvement initiatives).
- Employee safety - provide and promote a safe work environment.
- Plant Overheads - adherence to budget, constantly strive to reduce cost, yet maintain the facility in a safe condition.
- Capital Projects - continually reviewing the operation for supportive ROI projects that reduce cost and or improve quality. Seek support, and approval. Explore avenues for any and all government assistance.
- Food Safety - ensure compliance to our product specifications, government regulations, CSLP micro, sanitary and hygiene requirements as well as all other aspect of the QMP/HACCP and pending BRC certification.
- Plant Safety - works closely with the Corporate Safety Manager to achieve safety goals and objectives
- The Plant Manager must be prepared at all time to answer quickly and accurately questions related to inventory levels, inventory forecast, and production plan.
- Direct supervision of the senior management team and all direct reports. Responsible for development, succession planning and performance management of staff.
- Ensure all personnel are focused on divisional and corporate goals.
- Instill, encourage and support a team environment and open communication.
- Lead direct reports in investigating and evaluating new technology that may lead to improvements in process and operations.
- Ensure and verify full compliance to CSLP, OHS and WHSCC safety standards.
- Ensure and verify full compliance to CSLP, CTPAT, PIP, and other regulatory and security policies.
- Ensure and verify full compliance to all other CSLP policies.
- Establish and maintain a good working relationship with Union representatives both internally and ezternally
- Conduct performance revxews of direct reports, provide evaluation, support and training as required and requested but within the confines of the budget. Responsible for ensuring all facility reviews are concluded in line with corporate timelines.
- Provide strong coaching and mentoring to all direct reports.
- Provide leadership in the budgetary process, providing accurate detailed process and plant information as required.
Key Behavioral Competencies (Personal Characteristics):
- These are essential in order to perform the job successfully.
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively.
- Analytical thinking/problem solving - must have the ability to take information, digest it and make sound decisions and recommendations.
- Team focus - ensure that the interests of all the functional areas are considered when making recommendations and must have the ability to work with others in a cooperative and goal-oriented manner.
- Relationship building - must foster relationships that support the company goals internally and externally.
- Detail oriented.
- Ability to manage conflict and mange constantly changing situations effectively.
- Must be reliable, treat people fairly, honestly and with respect.
- 7-10 years of manufacturing/supply chain experience in positions of increasing responsibility with a proven track record of successful leadership.
- Degree focus should be in Business Management, Food Technology, Process Engineering or related discipline.
- Experience working in a unionized environment required
- Knowledge of Quality Assurance programs in a food environment.
- Excellent computer skills required, SAP experience an asset
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Participates in industry associations and local businesses.
- English language is required.