The Event Manager (EM) supports Events East Group by ensuring efficient and effective planning and delivery of contracted events at both of our venues. The Event Manager is primarily responsible and accountable to lead event pre-planning as well as provide general oversight of event delivery.
The EM supports operational teams by ensuring the timely, accurate input of detailed event information. The EM also supports Sales and Business Development efforts by building and maintaining strong client/promoter relationships and by delivering events of world-class caliber, all while adhering to the Events East corporate mission, vision, and strategy for service delivery.
- Manage a percentage of events, as assigned, including:
- National and international events (including corporate, association, and not-for-profit),
- Significant local/regional events (gala, high-profile, complex, and/or high-risk),
- Sporting events, concerts, and other special events.
- Adhere to Events East Event Management policies, procedures, and service delivery standards, particularly regarding procurement of event detail, programming of event detail, and oversight of event delivery.
- In coordination with the security department, as well as senior management, oversee event risk assessment and emergency planning for assigned events.
- Manage operational meetings (e.g.: internal pre-cons) to support event delivery teams. Manage client-focused meetings (e.g.: pre- and post-convention meetings) to ensure exceptional event experiences.
- In consultation with operational teams, provide direction and counsel to clients/planners/promoters, proactively guiding them to make choices which will lead to successful event delivery.
- Actively participate and provide constructive leadership in meetings, projects, and working groups as assigned and directed.
- Act as mentor for associate event manager(s), event coordinator(s), and administrative event coordinator(s). Act as a positive role model for all staff members in job performance, work ethic, and disposition.
- Foster positive relationships with all teams, championing organizational values and recognizing colleagues who demonstrate supporting behaviors.
- Proactively support and maintain Events East strategies for service delivery (e.g.: Primary Point of Contact strategy), including delivering constructive feedback and offering a solution-centric approach.
- Engage in developing, planning, and execution of client-centric specialty programs.
- Participate in the development of service delivery standards to ensure consistency across both of our venues.
- Maintain positive, professional relationships with all industry partners, including service suppliers, hoteliers, planners, promoters, and tenants.
- Engage in professional development activities, as directed.
Health and Safety:
- Identify and mitigate any event-related health and safety concerns, both property-related and food and beverage-related.
- Assess potential safety hazards following event set up and throughout the onsite event cycle to ensure safe operations for guests and employees.
- Actively participate in emergency preparedness training including information sessions, group activities, and situational simulations.
- Resolutely support the Joint Operational Health and Safety Committee (JOHSC) in all its endeavors and promote health and safety initiatives by reinforcing organizational culture.
- Completion of post-secondary education preferred,
- Minimum 5 years' experience in an event management/co-ordination role,
- Recognized industry certification an asset; preference given to CMP and/or CMM designations.
ADDITIONAL SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills
- Problem-solving and management through stressful situations
- Project management, attention to detail, timelines, and task management
- Contracting, negotiations, and compliance
- Event budgeting and financials
- Evaluations, reporting and analysis
- Leadership and strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to accept positive and constructive performance coaching and action
Events East is committed to a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons, and persons from the LGBTQ+ community. We encourage applicants to self-identify.
During the recruitment process, applicants have the right to request an accommodation. Any applicant invited to participate in testing or an interview and who requires an accommodation should discuss their needs, in confidence, with the Recruiter when selected.
TO APPLY: Online or via Career Beacon.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be reviewed as they are received until the position is filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for interview will be contacted.
For further information, please visit our website at www.eventseast.com
A little bit about us
We manage and operate the Halifax Convention Centre, Scotiabank Centre and Ticket Atlantic. Created as part of a government partnership between the Province of Nova Scotia and Halifax Regional Municipality, we work in collaboration with them to manage our business in a responsible and transparent manner.
We were established in 2014 through legislation to operate, maintain and manage the activities of the Halifax Convention Centre in a manner that will promote and develop economic development, tourism and industry in the Province generally, and the Municipality.
Effective April 1, 2017, our mandate expanded to include the continued management and operations of Scotiabank Centre and Ticket Atlantic, formerly under Trade Centre Limited (TCL).
Our facilities and the events we attract are platforms for prosperity. Whether we’re attracting large delegations or hosting an elite group of athletes for an international competition, we are a catalyst for new opportunities and connections between Nova Scotia and the world.
MISSION: WE CONNECT THE WORLD TO NOVA SCOTIA BY CREATING MEMORABLE EVENT EXPERIENCES.
VISION: OUR PEOPLE AND OUR COMMUNITY MAKE US THE FAVOURED EVENT DESTINATION FOR OUR GUESTS.