Become a member of the GEM family! We offer an inclusive and welcoming work environment with competitive benefits, a generous vacation plan and plenty of learning opportunities. At GEM we strive to provide the best care, service, and quality of life for our residents in a safe, dignified, home-like environment. From housekeeping to administering medication, our staff is both the foundation and the face of our business.
Location: Gables Lodge - Amherst
What you'll do
- Responsible for the housekeeping, laundry, and maintenance department.
- Ensures that departmental goals and objectives are consistent with the mission and values of the facility.
- Ensures service standards and delivery meets or exceeds quality metrics and that department outcomes consistently meet or exceed licensing standards.
- Ensures staffing standards are consistently met and departments operate within budget.
- Responsible for maintaining and providing general and preventative maintenance to the facility and its physical plant, while ensuring all systems are functioning in accordance with the requirements and regulations of the Department of Labour, local, provincial, and national codes and bylaws, Occupational Health and Safety standards, Infection control standards and all other applicable regulations.
- Responsible for ensuring services progressively address evolving standards.
What you'll need
- Minimum Grade twelve or equivalent. Experience as housekeeper and/or maintenance staff preferred.
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License; Transportation of Dangerous Goods and WHMIS certification preferred.
- Two to five years geriatric experience, dementia care experience preferred. Working knowledge of LTC licensing requirements.
- Supervisory or management experience with demonstrated knowledge of current trends and concepts such as trauma informed, psychologically safe workplace, diversity and inclusion, and culturally responsive workplace preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge and adherence to fire safety regulations.
- Able to organize and implement preventative maintenance schedules, work order systems, and forecast equipment service and replacement schedules.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task under shifting priorities in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent communication, time management and organizational skills required.
- Stock room and inventory management experience an asset.
- Demonstrated knowledge of EMO, conflict management, change management, financial management, labour relations, building codes, and continuous quality improvement.
- Other preferred skills: demonstrated carpentry, plumbing, electrical, electronic, equipment handling and maintenance (AHU). Confined space entry certification an asset.
We're looking for
Look for yourself
A little bit about us
GEM Health Care Group
GEM Health Care Group is a Nova Scotian, family run business which has been enhancing the lives of seniors in the communities where they operate since 1979.
We continue to remain a leader in transforming how health care is delivered to seniors in Nova Scotia and we strive to provide the best care, service, and quality of life for our residents in a safe, dignified, home-like environment.
GEM currently operates various levels of seniors' care facilities throughout Nova Scotia, Ontario, and in Hollywood, Florida.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Job Type: Full-Time
Salary: $50,000 per year
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Schedule: Day shift
Schedule: 8 hour shift, Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate: Amherst, NS B4H 3C9: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person