Position: End User Support Technologist - Desktop (NSGEU Local 79)
Department: Information Technology Systems & Support (ITSS)
Annual Salary: $50,572 - $61,814 (Group 9)
Under the supervision of the Manager, Desktop Services, the End User Support Technologist (Desktop) provides support to the University Community, lab and classrooms with advanced software and hardware support and operation of information technologist including desktops (PC & Mac), laptops and Netbooks, printers, smart phones, PDAs and peripherals. The positon participates in technology projects, and assists in support of information technologies.
What you'll do
As the End User Support Technologist (Desktop), duties include, but are not limited to:
- Works with vendors to provide quotes for client purchases and resolve problems; researches technology and software upgrades.
- Advises the University community on a variety of technology issues and requirements; assists users in formulating service requests.
- Facilitates warranty for new leased systems as well as older purchased systems.
- Advises Helpdesk staff of known issues that may affect clients, and of any potential phone support options available that may reduce client downtime.
- Provides documentation, triage, and diagnostic questions and training to Tier 1; performs functions of Tier 1 when necessary if clients contact directly.
- Creates and updates service requests with details of work done and contacts made while troubleshooting the request; may create service requests for other Tier 2 groups, as required.
- Schedules work with clients and reschedules when necessary.
- As operations warrant, may be required to respond to requests for assistance in order to minimize downtime for classes/events relying on the supported instructional technology.
- Installs and maintains software for the University Community, lab and classroom computers on and off campus.
- Installs and configures the client application for several networked database programs and operating systems.
- Works with external vendors to troubleshoot software issues and network failures.
- Updates installed Operating Systems/Application packages as service packs become available to solve known issues.
- Maintains a working knowledge of older technologies in order to support older software still in use.
- Troubleshoots software installation failures and network problems.
- Refurnishes systems that are no longer functional due to current processing and memory requirements and re-deploys them to the university campus as required.
- Maintains various models of printers, including cleaning, replacing defective parts, and troubleshooting defective print media.
- Maintains computer equipment with a warranty in conjunction with the primary vendor, including diagnosis, ordering and replacing of warranty replacement parts, and returning defective components.
- Receives scans and conducts asset tagging of purchased or leased, and refurbished computer systems and peripherals prior to deployment.
- Collects asset data and location information for the purchased and leased equipment and hardware upgrades and then inputs data into the ITSS asset management database.
- Maintains accuracy and periodic confirmation of the database when computer equipment is relocated.
- Receives, unpacks, and scans all Evergreen (technology refresh) leased equipment as it arrives on campus; checks for shipping damage and disposes of packing material.
- Updates the Evergreen checklist with revised processes and procedures prior to commencement of the project.
- Contacts clients to coordinate replacement and articulates processes of project.
- Conducts data movements and subsequent operating system and software installation for client's new leased unit, while attempting to maintain zero data loss.
- Creates service requests as required for the Evergreen process.
- Deploys (set and profile configurations) new equipment in the client's location as well as install any non-standard applications and hardware required by the client.
- Coordinates with Manager, Desktop Services to ensure an adequate supply of systems to facilitate adherence to Evergreen scheduled deployment.
- Collects client's current computer equipment and returns it to a storage facility and updates asset management system to reflect changes.
- Erases client's data to military specs from previous hard drives, reinstalling the drives in the systems, and reimaging prior to return to leasing company.
- Creates images for Evergreen computers operating system and common desktop application installation and updates.
- Creates and deploys lab/classroom image(s) including installation of operating systems and all applicable applications and updates. Coordination with Conference Services and lab coordinators Iab is required to ensure adequate availability.
What you'll need
To be the successful End User Support Technologist (Desktop) you will possess a two-year Community College level program and a minimum of two years' of recent and related experience. A Comptia A+ certificate (HP Certification) is considered an asset. You will demonstrate strong organizational skills and ability to work in a fast-paced, team oriented environment; excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written; dedication to customer service; and attention to detail and accuracy will ensure your success in this position.
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Visit our web site at www.smu.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
Competition Opens: January 30, 2019 Competition Closes: February 11, 2019
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary's University promotes a Healthy Campus including a Scent-Free environment and a Smoke-Free Campus
Tenure Track Position in Finance - Derivatives and Risk Management
Halifax, NS, CA
Tenure Track Position in Finance - Financial Theory and Asset Pricing or Fixed Income Securities
Halifax, NS, CA
Web Developer (1 Year Contract) (NSGEU Local 79)
Halifax, NS, CA
Residence Coordinator (Part-Time Contract)
Halifax, NS, CA
Administrative Assistant to the Vice President, Advancement (APC)
Halifax, NS, CA