Are you looking to work in an organization that provides meaningful support and care to Nova Scotians every day? An organization that is about being there for all Nova Scotians when they need it most? An organization recognized throughout the province by its dedicated paramedics, medical communications officers and support team ready to come to your aid? Then this is your opportunity to be part of that team that works together for all Nova Scotians' health and safety!
Emergency Medical Care Inc. (EMC) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Medavie Health Services that manages and operates ground ambulance, air medical transport and the medical communications operations in Nova Scotia through a performance-based contract with the provincial government's Emergency Health Services (EHS) division and the Department of Health and Wellness. As well, EMC operates TeleHealth 811 Mental Health and Addictions for Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island for the Department of Health.
EMC delivers a high-quality pre-hospital care program and Telehealth service to Nova Scotians each and every day. We achieve this through the more than 1,400 employees who work with us including highly-trained paramedics, nurses, medical communication officers and support staff.
As an employee of EMC we are accountable to our patients and coworkers by participating in and supporting all safety related initiatives, as well as acting in a manner that fosters a culture that focuses on patient safety and a healthy, safe and respectful workplace.
Nature and Scope:
Reporting to the Operations Support Supervisor for Telehealth, the Medical Communication Centre Nurse will work within a collaborative, inter-professional team to appropriately manage and support caller access to health care services to meet their non-emergent, non-life threatening health situations. The successful candidate will perform secondary telephone based medical triage of lower acuity 911 EHS calls, performing patient assessment, formulating treatment plans and assisting patients in arranging appropriate care using information and with the support of evidence -based, computer decision support software, clinical guidelines, protocols and other resources. The incumbent will use critical thinking, therapeutic communication and clinical decision-making skills to assess, plan, implement, educate and evaluate the patients' health situation and/or informational needs.
What you'll do
- Provide telephone based clinical care advice, alternate care pathways, and service referrals to patients using nursing skills, clinical judgment, computer-based decision support software, appropriate evidence-based clinical guidelines, and other relevant databases/resources.
- Using in-depth clinical knowledge, apply process to identify patient care needs, risks and safety issues, educational opportunities, and appropriate health care referrals.
- Promote the use of alternative care pathways to operational staff as required.
- Document clinical and other relevant notes within the computer software program in a timely manner throughout and immediately during and after a call.
- Problem solve and consult with team members and MCC physician as required
- Communicate and liaise with external agencies regarding patient referral, accessing appropriate care and treatment
- Comply with all program specific metrics, participates in the evaluation and or measurement of these metrics and plays an active role in improving personal, team and program performance.
What you'll need
- Diploma in nursing required; Bachelor of Science in Nursing or equivalent preferred
- Ability to obtain and maintain Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD) and Emergency Communication Nurse System (ECNS) certifications required
- Minimum of three years' recent nursing experience in an acute care/general medical-surgical environment required
- Experience in nursing triage, intensive care, or tele-triage are strong assets
- Excellent communication, telephone, and computer skills required
- Exceptional critical thinking, sound clinical decision-making and problem-solving skills required
- Fluency in English (verbal and written) required; Additional fluency in French (verbal and written) an asset
- An active license and good standing as a Registered Nurse with the Nova Scotia College of Nursing (NSCN) and compliance with all applicable laws pertaining to the practice of nursing in the province are required
A little bit about us
Emergency Medical Care Inc. (EMC)
Emergency Medical Care Inc. (EMC) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Medavie Health Services (MHS) that manages and operates ground ambulance, air medical transport and the medical communications operations in Nova Scotia through a performance-based contract with the provincial government's Emergency Health Services (EHS) Operations division and the Department of Health and Wellness.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
- 100% Employer paid Health, Vision, and Dental
- Health Spending Account
- Matching Pension Plan
- Fitness benefit
- Paid vacation and holidays, as well, we offer a vacation purchase plan for additional time off
- Personal Days
- Free parking
- Employee Discounts offering great discounts at various businesses
- Much, much more!
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We are committed to building an inclusive team that represents a variety of backgrounds, cultures, races, perspectives and skills. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates including women, persons of any sexual orientations and gender identities and/or expressions, Indigenous persons, African Canadians, other racialized groups, persons with disabilities. Candidates who identify as being from any of these groups are encouraged to voluntarily self-identify.
Emergency Medical Care falls under the Nova Scotia provincial protocol for mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination. In accordance with this mandate, subject to any approved accommodation, all new employees hired or existing employees (applying for new positions), will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. For clarity, "fully vaccinated" means 14 days or more after receiving the number of doses or combination of doses of a vaccine approved by Health Canada or local public health agencies in the jurisdiction in which they will be employed.
If you are interested in this positon and would like to be a part of a high performing organization, please submit your cover letter and resume by October 7, 11:59 pm ADT.