6 Month Term - 0.5 FTE
Emergency Medical Care Inc. (EMC) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Medavie Health Services that manages and operates ground ambulance, air medical transport and the medical communications operations in Nova Scotia through a performance-based contract with the provincial government's Emergency Health Services (EHS) division and the Department of Health and Wellness. As well, EMC operates TeleHealth 811 medical communications for Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island for the Department of Health.
EMC delivers a high-quality pre-hospital care program and TeleHealth service to Nova Scotians each and every day. We achieve this through the more than 1,400 employees who work with us including highly-trained paramedics, nurses, medical communication officers and support staff.
We are seeking a highly motivated Adult Team Flight Nurse for the Helicopter, Fixed Wing and Ground components of EHS LifeFlight. The Adult Flight Nurse reports directly to the Emergency Health Services (EHS) LifeFlight Operations Support Supervisor. The adult medical team is generally comprised of a Flight Nurse and Flight Critical Care Paramedic. The Flight Nurse and Flight Paramedic operate as a team.
What you'll do
The Flight Nurse is accountable for providing clinical care to patients within an aviation and ground transport environment. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to direct patient care, documentation, incorporating advanced assessment, stabilization and intervention skills working under clinical practice guidelines approved by the EHS LifeFlight Medical Director. The Flight Nurse is expected to execute independent critical thinking skills, in order to deliver appropriate care that is consistent with nurse's scope of practice and delegated medical functions and to work well in a team with direct medical oversight.
What you'll need
• Current registration or eligible for registration with the Nova Scotia College of Nurses (NSCN).
• A minimum of five years clinical experience in health care with a minimum of three years critical care experience in a tertiary care or high volume centre.
• Must maintain active employment in a critical care setting or a high volume ground ambulance system.
• Strong practical knowledge of ICU practices and pharmacology.
• Current Certification BLS-C and ACLS.
• Post RN critical care or emergency program
• Good dexterity, good general health and physical coordination to withstand strenuous physical movements spent standing, kneeling, bending, and lifting. Must have the ability to lift 50 lbs independently.
• Compliance with the EMC/EHS LifeFlight Weight policy.
• Evidence of a commitment to professional and personal development.
• Good eyesight (or corrective lenses) and accurate color vision.
• Must successfully pass a pre-employment physical appraisal completed by a physician approved by the EHS LifeFlight.
• Able to work in a rapidly changing environment (institutional and community) and in the confines of a transport vehicle (helicopter, fixed-wing aircraft or ground ambulance).
• Demonstrates flexibility within a work schedule that includes shift work, standby, on-call and extended overtime, as needed.
• Exhibits strong leadership, critical thinking, collaborative, and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to communicate well and promote positive interpersonal relationships with patients, families and other health care professionals.
• Demonstrated ability for managing competing priorities.
• Effective oral and written communications.
• Enthusiastic and innovative.
• Ability to work independently, as well as a team member.
• Demonstrates a commitment to clinical research that supports the development of best practices and evidence based protocols.
• BScN/BN or other post secondary degree
• Previous air/ground medical transport experience
• Experience in computer applications such as Word, Excel, and Power Point
• Previous pediatric patient care experience
• Current certification in ITLS, ATLS (audit), NRP, PTLS and PALS
• Completion of a leadership course
• Instructor PALS, BLS-C, ACLS
Note: This position is intended to complement a part time position as an RN in a hospital setting.
A little bit about us
Emergency Medical Care Inc. (EMC)
Emergency Medical Care Inc. (EMC) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Medavie Health Services (MHS) that manages and operates ground ambulance, air medical transport and the medical communications operations in Nova Scotia through a performance-based contract with the provincial government's Emergency Health Services (EHS) Operations division and the Department of Health and Wellness. As well, EMC operates TeleHealth/811 medical communications for Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island for the Department of Health.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We are committed to building an inclusive team that represents a variety of backgrounds, cultures, races, perspectives and skills. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates including women, persons of any sexual orientations and gender identities and/or expressions, Indigenous persons, African Canadians, other racialized groups, persons with disabilities. Candidates who identify as being from any of these groups are encouraged to voluntarily self-identify