Are you a Microsoft Office expert who enjoys preparing and creating advanced level documents? Do you enjoy working in a fast paced, team environment in which you learn everyday and are challenged to grow professionally?
McInnes Cooper is seeking a motivated and proactive Document Specialist to join our team for a full-time, 12-month term position. As part of our WordPro team, you will provide advanced document production and administrative support to lawyers and legal support staff across the firm. Our new team member may be located in any of our office locations (Halifax, St. John's, Fredericton, Moncton, Saint John and Charlottetown).
What you'll do
As a Document Specialist, you will be responsible for providing advanced support in document preparation including but not limited to:
- Converting, creating, editing, combining, optimizing/condensing and preparing fillable and searchable PDF forms;
- Providing advanced functions including:
- Tables of contents, styles, cross-references, hyperlinking, automatic numbering;
- Email and mail merges (including envelopes/labels/name tags/tent cards); and,
- Formatting complex documents (e.g. factums, agreements, prospectuses, circulars, etc.).
- Transcribing digital voice recognition, voice recorded and handwritten dictation;
- Comparing (Using CompareDocs) and Comparing (Using Word);
- Converting, creating, editing, combining, optimizing and preparing fillable PDF forms;
- Formatting and printing excel sheets;
- Precedents: Search and convert precedents; add new precedents to database, profile in Worksite, index and maintain; and,
- Create, open or insert documents such as organizational charts, bar graphs and pie charts, using Visio or Excel, create and revise PowerPoint presentations including updating backgrounds of old presentations, combining presentations and formatting PowerPoint documents.
What you'll need
The successful candidate will possess the following skill set:
- The ideal candidate will have Office Administration, Legal Assistant diploma or other related education;
- Minimum five (5) years' related experience;
- Advanced-level technical skills in Microsoft Office required;
- Expert Knowledge of CompareDocs, and various Adobe and Nuance products;
- Knowledge of WestlawNext, Canadian Legal Information Institute (CanLII) and other online services;
- Ability to type with a speed of 80-100 words per minute;
- Knowledge of legal terminology, documents and procedures an asset; and,
- Microsoft Office Specialist Certification is an asset.
We're looking for
A little bit about us
McInnes Cooper is among the 25 largest business law firms in Canada and is the exclusive member firm in Atlantic Canada for Lex Mundi, the world's leading network of independent law firms. Providing strategic counsel to clients across North America and abroad, McInnes Cooper has nearly 200 lawyers and over 200 professional resources based in six offices across Atlantic Canada. Celebrating over 160 years in business, McInnes Cooper continues to thrive because of their relentless focus on client success, talent engagement and innovation.
At McInnes Cooper you will find a team that values you. We recognize that our members are key in delivering outstanding client service and we provide a collaborative, professional environment with a member focused culture. We are committed to creating an inclusive work environment that values, respects and supports different perspectives, cultures and experiences.
Diversity & Inclusion
We recognize that our individual differences make us a stronger, more adaptable law firm. We embrace these differences and give all of our members the opportunity to develop their unique skills and talents.
Collective Social Responsibility
We are recognized as a leader and innovator amongst Canadian law firms in the field of Collective Social Responsibility. Our people are concerned citizens who enjoy giving back. Together, we focus on developing ongoing partnerships with community organizations that do amazing work, often despite limited resources and public awareness. As a firm, we have the ability to respond with contributions of time and monetary support, and our people give generously of their skills and effort.
Pro Bono Legal Services
Through our Pro Bono Program, we provide legal counsel to disadvantaged people and organizations that have difficulty gaining access to justice on matters of public interest.
Like any large organization, our operations leave a footprint on the environment. From paper use and waste production to transportation and energy consumption, we continually look for opportunities to minimize that impact.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
This role offers an exceptional compensation package including firm-paid health and dental benefits as well as vacation and sick time.