Date Posted: August 11, 2023
Posting Deadline: September 8, 2023
Department: Student Affairs and Services
Type of Employment: Permanent, Full-time
Group Affiliation: APC Group, Group 9 ($97,676 - $125,875 annually)
At Saint Mary's University, you will be surrounded by a talented and dedicated team of professionals committed to accessibility, diversity, and the provision of a positive and supportive learning environment. We recognize the importance of the contribution and growth of each individual in the University's success. We are currently looking to fill the position of Director, Student Culture, Career and Experiential Learning to join our Student Affairs and Services team.
What we offer
As a team member at Saint Mary's, we are proud to offer many benefits. Some of these include:
- Competitive compensation
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Defined Contribution Pension plan
- Personal days
- Flexible Workplace
- Professional development
- Holiday closure
- Summer hour schedule
- Employee Transit EPass through Halifax Transit
Job Information and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Associate Vice President, Student Affairs and Services, the Director, Student Culture, Career and Experiential Learning:
- Supervises current compliment of full-time staff including Indigenous Student Advisor, Black Student Advisor, International Student Centre, Holy Cross Chaplaincy, and the Student Experience Specialist, Career Services, Co-operative education, Service Learning, Co-Curricular Record.
- Resolves employee concerns either directly or through established grievance/complaint procedures.
- Challenges all areas to be innovative and provides leadership in identifying new programs, initiatives and areas of collaboration related to their respective areas.
- Educates and advocates for improved and additional resources for historically equity denied groups, international students, career and experiential learning, etc.
- Develops and supervises implementation of a strategic plan for this department and the units within it.
- Manages and approves budgets, initiatives, services and programs coming of these units.
- Prepares annual reports, organizes meetings, develops and maintains measurable outcomes, participates in discussions, presents materials as required, and conducts environmental scanning to stay abreast of trends in related areas of supervision.
- Creates and chairs committees that will engage relevant internal stakeholders as well as external employers who will be able to provide guidance to respective areas in employer engagement.
- Fosters strong linkages to volunteer organizations to increase collaboration with service learning, community-based service learning, and Co-Curricular opportunities for Saint Mary's students.
- Oversees the on-going development of the Career 360 Student Engagement Platform that will enhance the Co-Curricular Record and better track and coordinate employer engagement and service-learning activities.
- Participates on internal and external committees and provides on-going leadership and representation of a student affairs lens.
- Forms collaborative relationships with the academic faculties at Saint Mary's to grow existing experiential programs such as service learning and cooperative education.
- Establishes relationships with relevant provincial and national government departments as well as private industry to create more opportunities for career and employment pathways for Saint Mary's students and alumni.
- Creates, trains, and engages committees formed to support processes of the Student Code of Conduct.
Experience and Education Requirements
To be the successful Director, Student Culture, Career and Experiential Learning you will have:
- Completion of a Master's Degree in Education, Social Work, Business Administration, Higher Education or equivalent related field.
- Minimum of seven (7) years related experience, which includes increasing levels of leadership, responsibility and accountability in one or more Student Development and/or Career and or Experiential Learning areas of responsibility.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team building skills.
- Marketing, planning and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated computer skills including database management.
- Cross-cultural work experience.
- Proven ability to promote collaboration and build partnerships.
- Experience in evaluation, assessment and demonstrating goal achievement.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience; unionized environment considered an asset.
Apply for this opportunity online using our online application system through Career Beacon. Click on "Apply Now" and complete all required information fields. Qualified candidates should submit the following with their application:
- Cover Letter
- Three Professional References
Late applications may not receive consideration. We appreciate all applications and note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
At Saint Mary's University, equity and diversity are integral to excellence and enrich our community. As an institution committed to fostering an environment of inclusion and respect, we encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, preference will be given to applicants who self-identify as Black/African Nova Scotians, Indigenous peoples, racialized persons/visible minorities, persons with disabilities and women. If you require accommodations during the recruitment process, please contact Talent Acquisition at [email protected].
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's top primary undergraduate universities--known for its international collaborations, leadership in entrepreneurship, and research that benefits local and global communities. Our programs in Arts, Science, Graduate Studies and the Sobey School of Business are among Canada's best and feature professors who are committed to the success of their students. Saint Mary's provides our 7,000 students with a place that fosters possibility, excellent research opportunities, and distinguished graduate and professional programs combined with a caring community. Nestled in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, on Canada's east coast, Saint Mary's University is marked by iconic buildings, green spaces and fresh ocean air. The Saint Mary's University community is committed to a prosperous future for the world-a world without limits.