POSITION SCOPE: Assumes responsibility for the daily management, implementation, and evaluation of recreation, volunteer, and pastoral services. Ensures that the program establishes and achieves goals and objectives that are consistent with the mission of the long term care faciclity.
What you'll do
1. Develops and maintains an effective CQI program within the department.
2. Collaborates with other managers in the development and revision of facility policies and procedures, standards, and job performance standards.
3. Knowledge of fire regulations and emergency plan and ensures that recreation personnel and volunteers are aware of their responsibilities in emergency situations.
4. Reports key information to the Administrator.
5. Actively participates in risk management activities and collaborates with the other managers and employees in developing and implementing strategies to improve and enhance the residents lives and employees work lives.
6. Participation in Management Team meetings and other committees as required.
7. Ensures implementation of policies and procedures within the Recreation Department.
8. Maintains accurate program documentation.
9. Prepares departmental monthly report on recreation services, and goals and objectives.
10. Represents Recreation Services to the GEM Management Board of Directors.
Human Resource Management Functions:
1. Provides leadership, coaching, education, problem-solving support, and re-enforcement of the Home's mission, policy and procedures, and values to all employees. Functions as a resource for other employees and departments.
2. Develops schedules and routines for employees in the department and for recreation and spiritual programs.
3. Hires, counsels, disciplines, directs, and evaluates staff in the Recreation Department.
4. Hires, counsels, directs, and evaluates volunteers as required.
5. Ensures staff training and education are available as needed.
6. Monitors schedules and employee attendance records.
7. Reviews and modifies departmental operating policy and procedure manuals.
8. Participates as part of the Management Team in labour disputes, grievance procedures, and union negotiations.
Financial, Physical, and Asset Management:
1. Planning, organization, and implementation of fund-raising initiatives to maintain and develop programs.
2. Maintains an accurate system of financial records.
3. Ordering and purchasing necessary supplies.
Internal and External Relationships:
1. Coordinates recreation, music, and spiritual programs with other departments.
2. Maintains liaison with other departments, Administration, professional association, and Department of Health and other Homes.
3. Participates in offering placement opportunities for individuals in the community.
4. Chair Family and Resident Council, ensuring action items are developed and followed through in collaboration with the Management team.
5. Chair Pastoral/Palliative Care Committee with local clergy and faciclity staff.
1. Promotes independence and community integration for residents through ensuring residents are supported to access recreational programs.
2. Maintenance of confidentiality concerning management discussions and informal resident, employee, and organizational data and information.
3. Other duties as assigned.
What you'll need
Minimum Formal Education:
Degree in Therapeutic Recreation.
Other degree in Recreation or Gerontology concentration or Recreation Diploma with minimum 5 years experience in related roles may be considered.
Must be registered and in good standing with the Recreation professional association - Nova Scotia Therapeutic Recreation Association (NSTRA) and/or Canadian Therapeutic Recreation Association (CTRA).
Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS) through National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC) preferred.
First Aid & CPR.
Food Handlers Certification.
Special Knowledge and Skills:
Experience and knowledge in geriatrics, supervisory experience, excellent communication, organizational, problem solving, interpersonal communication, conflict resolution, time management, and financial management skills.
Look for yourself
A little bit about us
GEM Health Care Group
GEM Health Care Group is a Nova Scotian, family run business which has been enhancing the lives of seniors in the communities where they operate since 1979.
We continue to remain a leader in transforming how health care is delivered to seniors in Nova Scotia and we strive to provide the best care, service, and quality of life for our residents in a safe, dignified, home-like environment.
GEM currently operates various levels of seniors' care facilities throughout Nova Scotia, Ontario, and in Hollywood, Florida.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $32.61 per hour
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- Vision care
Flexible Language Requirement:
- French not required
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
Truro, NS B2N 7B1: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)