· The Dietician/Dietary Service Manager is responsible for the coordination of all dietary services provided to residents. All aspects of resident's dietary care are developed, planned, implemented, and evaluated consistent with the mission, vision and values of Gables Lodge.
· The Dietician/Dietary Service Manager is responsible for the leadership of the Dietary services.
· The Dietician/Dietary Service Manager participates as part of the senior management and corporate team; assists with the development, implementation and evaluation of the strategic plan; and other initiatives.
What you'll do
1. Ensures the delivery of optimum and appropriate nutritional standards of care to the residents by the dietary and nursing departments.
2. Demonstrates knowledge of and conducts work in accordance with the Long Term Care philosophy, mission, policies and procedures.
3. Assumes responsibility for the Dietary Department and is responsible for the nutritional assessment of new residents within one month of admission, residents at risk and reviews as needs change.
4. Responsible for monitoring weight changes.
5. Responsible for care plan assessments and reviews, charting and reports on consult request.
6. Responsible for making recommendations regarding food production, service and menu planning following Canada Food Guide, nutritional care of residents, new kitchen equipment, investigating improvements through appraisal and research.
7. Responsible for reviewing menus for special diets and assisting Director of Support Services with emergency contingencies.
8. Responsible for monitoring daily food intake of residents.
9. Responsible for conducting preliminary swallowing assessments as required and processing a referral to the Speech Language Pathologist.
10. Responsible for evaluating the need for adaptive feeding aids and processing a referral to the Occupational Therapist.
11. Responsible for maintaining confidentiality concerning residents, employee and organizational data and facility information.
12. Reviews and modifies specific departmental policy and procedure manuals.
13. Develop and maintain an effective quality and risk management program within the department.
14. Develops and implements departmental goals and objectives.
15. Provides leadership and works closely with employees in all Departments to solve any issues/concerns to provide a quality service to the residents.
16. Participates on committees as per organizational committee structure. Found under Administrative Policy and Procedure Section 1.
17. Maintains liaison with other departments, administration, government agencies, and educational facilities.
18. Ensures compliance with guidelines and regulations from the Department of Health, Department of Agriculture & Marketing, community agencies, and suppliers as necessary.
19. Ensuring a systematic process for management of departmental supplies.
20. Prepares payroll submission for both Dietary Services.
21. Prepares monthly reports of Dietary Services activities, goals and objectives to the Administrator.
22. Conducts Departmental meetings and reports to Senior Management.
23. Participates in the general orientation program.
24. Reviews and revises job descriptions and routines.
25. Ensures the cleanliness and maintenance, of departmental equipment.
26. Oversees special catering functions.
27. Other duties as requested or assigned
1. Attends Resident Care Conferences as requested.
2. Responsible for facilitating personal and professional growth through utilization of current literature, seminars, workshops and conferences.
3. Responsible for meeting regularly with the Nursing Services Manager and R.N.s/L.P.N.s to discuss changes in needs of residents and their nutritional care.
4. Responsible for meeting regularly with the management team to discuss menus and any resident/staff dietary concerns
5. Responsible for consulting with the physicians regarding the status of residents.
6. Reports concerns to the Administrator or designate.
1. Responsible for diet counseling of individual residents.
2. Responsible for organizing in-services on nutrition for staff, promoting continuing education and presenting in services.
Human Resource Management
1. Represents the Dietary Department for the organization.
2. Recruits, hires, orientates new employees.
3. Supervises, and completes performance appraisals for staff in the dietary services departments.
4. Prepares schedules for the dietary department in accordance with Department of Health and collective agreement.
5. Works in accordance with collective agreement.
6. Ensures staff training and education are available as needed.
7. Maintains knowledge of fire regulations and the emergency plan, and is able to direct staff in their responsibilities in emergency situations.
8. Participates when required as a management representative on the Labour Management Committee.
9. Participates as part of the management team in labour disputes, grievance procedures involving Support Services staff as required.
1. Responsible to consider budgetary guidelines for departmental monthly purchasing and inventory as required.
2. Organized and submits purchasing records to the Administrator.
3. Identifies needs related to the purchase of capital equipment to Director of Health Care Services.
4. Manages the Dietary Services within the allocated budget.
1. Maintenance of confidentiality concerning resident, employee and organizational
data and facility information.
2. Advises the facility when changes in work schedule shall occur
3. Participates in relevant continuing education and applies principles that have been learned.
4. Attends meetings as required.
5. Participates on the Interdisciplinary Health Care Team.
6. Reports any safety issues to appropriate Manager/Supervisor.
What you'll need
- Registered Dietitian: 3 years (preferred)
- Licensed Dietician (required)
Look for yourself
A little bit about us
GEM Health Care Group
GEM Health Care Group is a Nova Scotian, family run business which has been enhancing the lives of seniors in the communities where they operate since 1979.
We continue to remain a leader in transforming how health care is delivered to seniors in Nova Scotia and we strive to provide the best care, service, and quality of life for our residents in a safe, dignified, home-like environment.
GEM currently operates various levels of seniors' care facilities throughout Nova Scotia, Ontario, and in Hollywood, Florida.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Salary: $80,000.00 per year
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Staff must wear PPE and masks when symptomatic or working with symptomatic clients.