Position: Custodial Shift Coordinator (APC)
Department: Facilities Management
Annual Salary: $54,091 - $69,708 (Group 5)
Under the supervision of the Custodial Manager, the Custodial Shift Coordinator supervises and assigns custodial staff to achieve a clean, safe environment in designated areas and to set up areas for special activities. The Custodial Shift Coordinator is responsible to ensure the University is cleaned and set up for each day, including critical areas such as Residence, classrooms, washrooms, public study and conference spaces, Library, Daycares and Athletic Facilities. The Custodial Shift Coordinator is responsible for training, occupational health and safety, staff assignments and custodial equipment and closets.
What you'll do
Duties as the Custodial Shift Coordinator include, but not limited to:
- Supervising approximately twenty-four (24) full-time custodial staff including two (2) Lead Hands plus twenty-seven (27) summer students.
- Planning duties and assigning staff to ensure priority tasks are completed in the absence of regularly scheduled staff.
- Monitoring performance and providing day-to-day and periodic formal performance feedback.
- On a daily basis, meets with staff members in their assigned area to review tasks assigned and resolve any concerns.
- Providing training and development to enhance performance levels and team participation.
- Implementing and training staff on Custodial policies, Safe Work Practices, Cleaning Standards and new equipment.
- Assisting the Custodial Manager in the selection of new staff and staff transfers.
- Implementing the University's and Departments' Occupational Health and Safety Program.
- Resolving staff concerns either directly or through established grievance/complaint procedures and notifying the Custodial Manager of staff concerns.
- Initiating disciplinary action for staff by notifying the Custodial Manager of situations and providing information to support discipline where justified.
- Coordinating the set-up of Conference facilities for internal and external clients.
- Developing the overall vacation plan for the shift staff on an annual basis and revising as needed.
- Inspecting buildings and staff areas for compliance with custodial standards, practices and customer satisfaction.
- Identifying potential custodial and maintenance problems and assigning custodial staff to address or reporting to the appropriate Manager for action.
- Arranging for equipment maintenance through contractors.
- Receiving and processing written and voicemail requests for special work.
- Meeting with customers and the custodial team to discuss quality control, concerns, cleaning methods, improvement strategies, conference issues, setups, special projects, etc.
- Meeting with the Custodial Manager to discuss staffing, customer service and quality control on a weekly basis.
- Providing recommendations to the Custodial Manager on equipment maintenance and new cleaning methods.
- Providing reports to the Custodial Manager regarding planned assignments, planned special projects, staffing, problem areas, staff and customer concerns, resolutions, etc.
- Preparing or ordering supplies for the shift.
- Preparing and tracking staff vacation plan on a regular ongoing basis.
- Approving, compiling and submitting overtime, sick leave and vacation time for payroll on a biweekly basis to the Financial Coordinator.
What you'll need
To be the successful Custodial Shift Coordinator you will be a high school graduate with two (2) additional years of related education, including WHMIS and supervisory training and a minimum of five (5) years of directly related progressive experience. You will have experience supervising in a unionized environment along with working knowledge of the Nova Scotia Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations and the Nova Scotia Workers' Compensation Act. You will further demonstrate excellent communications skills, time management and computer skills along with the ability to work in a team environment and demonstrate excellent customer service skills.
We're looking for
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Visit our web site at www.smu.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
The search committee will begin to consider applications on January 9, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary's University promotes a Healthy Campus including a Scent-Free environment and a Smoke-Free Campus
Secretary IV (NSGEU Local 79)
Halifax, NS, CA
Work Integrated Learning Coordinator (1 Year Contract)
Halifax, NS, CA
Three (3) Limited Term Appointments, FISMS, Finance
Halifax, NS, CA
One (1) Limited Term Appointment, FISMS, Management Science
Halifax, NS, CA
Administrative Manager – Facilities Management (APC)
Halifax, NS, CA