Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer the Controller is responsible for oversight of all financial reporting and systems, internal controls and internal audit, accounting, insurance, tax compliance, and the annual external audit. The Controller will ensure that NSCAD University has the systems and procedures in place to support effective programming, a balanced financial position, and key financial decisions while also achieving flawless audits. The Controller will work closely with the Administrative Directors, Academic Chairs and Directors and their staff, not only to educate them regarding finance, financial and insurance policies, and accounting procedures but also to explore how the finance function can support student-focused operations.
What you'll do
- Oversees accuracy of payments to suppliers and internal cheque disbursements in accordance with policy and documented procedure.
- Data steward for the Colleague Finance module. Responsible for all financial system documentation, processes and software updates.
- Responsible for all accounts receivable activities and collections and associated processes, including ensuring that weekly follow up and the associated contact documentation is maintained. Maintain student receivables over 60 days at a level of under 1% of tuition revenue. Generate reports for the Chief Financial Officer for approval of A/R write offs and for amounts sent to the external collections service provider.
- Oversees month end and year end close including, monthly general journal entries and adjustments. Oversees all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate standards and regulatory requirements.
- Responsible for facilitating the budget process with budget holders and the budget advisory committee.
- Prepares timely accurate financial reports as requested by external stakeholders, the Board, and senior management.
What you'll need
Undergraduate degree and CPA accreditation. Three to five years relevant work experience with supervisory responsibilities is required. High level of organizational, problem-solving, analytical, time management, planning and decision-making skills. Demonstrated ability to meet reporting deadlines. Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments. Keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which allow for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting. Commitment to recruiting, mentoring, training, and retaining a diverse team with the foresight and ability to delegate accordingly. Advanced knowledge with accounting and information software, government regulations and accounting standards. Experience working in a post secondary educational institution would be considered a definite asset as well as experience with the Enterprise Resource Planning system Datatel Colleague.
A little bit about us
NSCAD University (Nova Scotia College of Art and Design) is one of Canada's oldest independent cultural institutions and regarded as a principal center for education and research in visual culture in North America. NSCAD University offers graduate and undergraduate degrees in fine and media arts, craft, design, art history, art education and critical studies, as well as an ambitious array of Extended Studies courses. NSCAD University alumni are among the world's most highly regarded artists, gallery directors, designers, curators and art educators.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Applications should be sent via the CareerBeacon website. Applications should include a cover letter and detailed CV.
Deadline for applications: The University will begin considering applicants on Setember 18, 2023 and continue until the position is filled. We appreciate all applicants, however only those selected to move forward in the competition will be contacted.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority in this search. NSCAD university encourages applications from Indigenous persons, racially visible persons, persons with a disability, women, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community.