At Events East Group, we proudly manage and operate the Halifax Convention Centre, Scotiabank Centre and Scotiabank Centre Box Office. Our people and our community make us the favoured event destination for our guests. Whether we're attracting large delegations or hosting an elite group of athletes for an international competition, we are a catalyst for new opportunities and connections between Nova Scotia and the world.
Designed to meet the needs of multiple events, Nova Scotia's Halifax Convention Centre offers over 120,000 square feet of flexible event space in the heart of downtown. The Halifax Convention Centre is part of the Nova Centre, a million-square-foot, mixed-use development that includes a hotel, office towers, and retail space. It is the largest integrated development project in the province's history.
The Halifax Convention Center managed by Events East Group is now inviting applications for the position of Commis 1 (Kitchen) with our culinary team.
Reporting to the Department Chef, the Commis 1 (Kitchen) is a kitchen professional who has sufficient experience and knowledge to work partially unsupervised. The Commis 1 (Kitchen) should show competency with knife skills, most common cooking methods, and safe food handling. This position works in a fast-paced environment with multiple demands.
Due to the nature of the role being in an event-based industry, the scheduling for this position is expected to be variable shiftwork.
- Follow and adhere to established health, safety, and food safety guidelines.
- Observe, prepare, assist, and cook complete meals or individual dishes as a part of banquet meals and catered events.
- Set up, attend to, and help service buffets and food stations.
- Ensure correct and timely distribution of food and products according to the event reports.
- Use a full range of kitchen equipment and tools.
- Preparation and plating of both hot and cold items
- Safely transport and store food, equipment, and tools by lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling food, product, and containers.
- Support the Chef de Partie to maintain inventory and records of food, supplies and equipment. Rotate all items in refrigerators.
- Be punctual for work and being dressed in a full clean uniform.
- Rotate into different areas of the kitchen to support business demand.
THE PERKS AND BENEFITS:
- Uniforms and PPE provided as per the UNIFOR Local 4005 Collective Agreement
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) available through Telus Health
- Free counselling services
- Resources available for personal life needs
- Health Plan available upon completion of probationary period
- Participation in a Capital Accumulation Plan as per the UNIFOR Local 4005 Collective Agreement
- 13 paid holidays or holiday pay as per the UNIFOR Local 4005 Collective Agreement
- Paid bereavement leave
- Discounted transit bus pass through SmartTrip
- Discounted gym membership at Goodlife Fitness
THE PROFESSIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from a recognized culinary program or equivalent.
- Interprovincial Red Seal (culinary) is considered a strong asset.
- Proper knife skills including the proper use of knives, proper knife selection as well as knife sharpening.
- At least 3 years of related experience in a fast-paced food environment (high volume experience considered an asset)
- Lift and carry 25kg.
- Move items sometimes weighing in excess of 100kg on devices designed for such activities.
- Stand, walk, lift and bend for long periods of time.
- Work in an environment with fluctuating temperatures and humidity levels.
- Move arms and hands in a repetitive motion(s) often in an extended position.
- Due to the nature of the event business, the Commis 1 (Kitchen) must be able to work a flexible schedule including a varied combinations of mornings, days, evenings, nights and weekends.
Events East is committed to a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities, Indigenous persons, and persons from the 2SLGBTQIA+ community. We encourage applicants to self-identify.
During the recruitment process, applicants have the right to request an accommodation. Any applicant invited to participate in testing or an interview and who requires an accommodation should discuss their needs, in confidence, with the Recruiter when selected.
TO APPLY: Apply via Career Beacon.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: This is a bargaining unit position initially restricted to current employees represented by Unifor Local 4005 Union. External applicants and current casual employees will only be considered if there are no qualified bargaining unit candidates.
External candidates and current Events East Group casual employees will be considered after February 16, 2024, given that no current bargaining unit employees have attained the position. After February 16, 2024, applications will be reviewed as they are received until the position is filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For further information, please visit our website at www.eventseast.com
A little bit about us
We manage and operate the Halifax Convention Centre, Scotiabank Centre and Ticket Atlantic. Created as part of a government partnership between the Province of Nova Scotia and Halifax Regional Municipality, we work in collaboration with them to manage our business in a responsible and transparent manner.
We were established in 2014 through legislation to operate, maintain and manage the activities of the Halifax Convention Centre in a manner that will promote and develop economic development, tourism and industry in the Province generally, and the Municipality.
Effective April 1, 2017, our mandate expanded to include the continued management and operations of Scotiabank Centre and Ticket Atlantic, formerly under Trade Centre Limited (TCL).
Our facilities and the events we attract are platforms for prosperity. Whether we’re attracting large delegations or hosting an elite group of athletes for an international competition, we are a catalyst for new opportunities and connections between Nova Scotia and the world.
MISSION: WE CONNECT THE WORLD TO NOVA SCOTIA BY CREATING MEMORABLE EVENT EXPERIENCES.
VISION: OUR PEOPLE AND OUR COMMUNITY MAKE US THE FAVOURED EVENT DESTINATION FOR OUR GUESTS.