Position: Co-Curricular Record Coordinator (APC) (1 Year Maternity Leave Contract)
Department: Career Services
Annual Salary: $38,142 - $49,154 (Group 2)
Under the supervision of the Assistant Director, Career & Experiential Learning the Co-Curricular Record Coordinator engages students and recent graduates in Co-Curricular, experiential learning activities and generates Co-Curricular Records (CCRs) - personalized, university-verified accounts of students' experiences and achievements. The position facilitates individualized, confidential sessions with incoming and current students to activate their CCR accounts, assesses their needs, identifies skills, and tailors activities to their interest and abilities. The Co-Curricular Record Coordinator leads tailored lab-workshops for athletes, SAGA volunteers, Residence Assistants, societies` executives, alumni, and other groups to illustrate features of the CCR Form, to log their experience, and to equip students and recent graduates with writing strong learning outcomes. The position also leads semi-annual Career Services signature event - Student Leadership Recognition Award (SLRA) Ceremony.
What you'll do
Duties as the Co-Curricular Record Coordinator include, but are not limited to:
- Providing direct service to over 1,500 students (prospective, current and alumni) annually by engaging students and recent graduates in Co-Curricular and experiential learning activities.
- Responding to student inquiries and requests from Staff, Faculty, Deans and Assistant Director, Career & Experiential Learning.
- Leading group educational presentations/workshops across campus (RA, LEAP, Athletics, Societies, Volunteers, etc.).
- Informing students of available Co-Curricular opportunities and assisting with application process.
- Advising/training students to reflect on learning to articulate skills to employers, grad schools and scholarship committees.
- Maintaining a database of over 900 Co-Curricular activities accessible by students.
- Verifying student participation with their CCR Validators and manually generating 50-100 CCR's per month.
- Collaborating with and suggesting improvements for the CCR software platform to the Department of ITSS.
- Updating CCR pages on website including the CCR Verified Volunteer Opportunities page and CCR Form on SMUport; Contributing to social media content on the Career Services Social medial Channels.
- Generating reports and CCR statistics for Assistant Director, Career & Experiential Learning
- Planning and coordinating the technical implementation process of a new student engagement platform in cooperation with various departments within Student Services, ITSS and the Registrar's Office.
- Leading a working group through the implementation phase of the new student engagement platform and acting as the key contact for the university with the external provider.
- Working with the Assistant Director, Career & Experiential Learning to organize, plan and execute a comprehensive operational plan and program that will maximum the new student engagement platform and its connectivity to students, employers, faculty and staff.
- Recruiting, training, supervising and evaluating student staff as well as volunteers during academic and summer months; Keeping track of student staff and volunteers' hours and accomplishments.
- Establishing priorities and goals and delegating projects to student staff and volunteers.
- Leading, mentoring and coaching student staff and volunteers on style/delivery of CCR workshops and presentations.
- Collaborating with University departments, Student Societies, SMUSA and faculty members to deliver new engagement opportunities for students at all levels.
- Initiating partnerships with external organizations in Halifax to:
- Recognize students for their contribution in the community
- Assist new students in attaining directly related, career focused experience.
- Regularly communicating with and surveying employers on their hiring practices of recent graduates, evaluating their responses and educating the employers on the CCR.
- Responsible for the University's and SMUSA's semi-annual SLRA Ceremony.
- Serving as a member of the SLRA Adjudication Committee and establishing selection criteria along with heading the Adjudication Committee Selection Process.
- Planning and overseeing student application process for SLRA twice per year.
- Collaborating with the Writing Centre to conduct Letter of Interest writing workshops and drop-in sessions.
- Performs other duties as assigned
What you'll need
To be the successful Co-Curricular Record Coordinator you will possess and Undergraduate degree combined with one (1) year of directly related experience. You will demonstrate strong analytical skills and problem solving skills; strong oral and written presentation skills; and strong organizational skills and ability to function independently and as part of a team. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, strong interpersonal and customer service skills and knowledgeable of current hiring practices and skills sought by employers will round out your qualifications. Experience in leadership development, career development, community engagement volunteerism or experiential learning programs and knowledge of database management, integrated information systems, web development, web portals and content management systems will be considered assets.
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Visit our web site at www.smu.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
Competition Opens: November 8, 2019 Competition Closes: November 22, 2019
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary's University promotes a Healthy Campus including a Scent-Free environment and a Smoke-Free Campus
Project Manager (1 Year Contract)
Halifax, NS, CA
Administrative Support - Graduate Career Services (Casual Position)
Halifax, NS, CA
Institutional Researcher (APC)
Halifax, NS, CA
Manager, Projects & Facility Planning (APC)
Halifax, NS, CA
Executive Assistant to the President (APC)
Halifax, NS, CA