NBCC is currently seeking dynamic and competent individuals as Casual Professional Tutors (for an inventory pool) to be hired on an on-call basis for all NBCC programs and sectors, at our Saint John Campus. Hours of work will vary based on student need and schedules. Candidates will be matched with students based on academic subject requirements; however, tutors are not guaranteed assigned tutor work each term or academic year.
Our College is committed to transforming lives and communities. When you work at NBCC, you are a valued team member of a community of leaders who are driven by learning excellence and by our important role in social and economic development.
What you'll do
Reporting to the Manager of Student Development, the individual will tutor in a variety of subjects specifically related to various NBCC programs and sectors. For example, program content knowledge may be required within sectors and subjects such as Math, Physics, Communications, Health and Social Sciences, Business, Information Technology, Engineering, Trades, etc. A comprehensive list of all NBCC programs can be found at www.nbcc.ca.
Key responsibilities include:
- Support all aspects of student academic needs as identified by Accessibility Services staff;
- Explain concepts effectively to assist students with retention of specific course content;
- Assess a student's knowledge and skills on an ongoing basis and adjust strategies accordingly;
- Work comfortably with individuals from diverse backgrounds;
- Demonstrate patience and positive attitude in establishing an encouraging learning environment;
- Assist students with writing skills, editing of assignments, research techniques and awareness of plagiarism; and
- Provide regular student progress updates to the student and to the appropriate NBCC staff.
What you'll need
Required qualifications for this opportunity include a high school diploma or equivalent, and post-secondary education which may be specific to the program area as needed. Tutoring may be available through face-to-face or remote tutoring arrangements including Skype or other IT platforms. The successful candidate must possess strong interpersonal and communication skills and have a sincere passion to help others learn. Experience with accessibility services would be an asset. Candidates must clearly demonstrate how they meet these qualifications on their resumes.
Written and spoken competence in English is required.
Candidates must supply a clean criminal record check and vulnerable sector check prior to commencing tutoring with students.
Preference may be given to candidates who have experience working as a tutor, or similar position, in a post-secondary environment.
All applicants must be eligible to work in Canada at the time of application. We promote an equal opportunity work environment.
We're looking for
A little bit about us
New Brunswick Community College (NBCC)
With six Campuses across the province, New Brunswick Community College (NBCC) transforms lives and communities across New Brunswick and contributes to the social and economic prosperity of our province.
Why work with NBCC?
- You want to make a difference. By working at NBCC, you can support students in achieving their educational and career aspirations, help meet the needs of employers and contribute to stronger communities across New Brunswick.
- You want to belong to something bigger. NBCC welcomes the individual experiences and perspectives of our learners, our staff and our partners. We nurture a culture of belonging where everyone feels valued and has opportunities to add value. NBCC is an equal opportunity employer building a dynamic team that is representative of the communities and industries that we serve.
- We're one of the best places to work in Atlantic Canada. For three years in a row, we have been named one of Atlantic Canada's Top Employers because of our commitment to families, community service and employee engagement. This includes, paid time off to volunteer, comprehensive benefits packages and professional development opportunities.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
The schedule is flexible and based on student need. The salary is $21 per hour. All interested candidates must submit a detailed resume online by November 21, 2018.