Faculty (Casual) - Configuration & Information Management in Marine Manufacturing
School of Technology and Environment
Casual Opportunity: Commencing approximately October 2023 and ending approximately December 20, 2023
Application deadline is 11:59pm, October 6, 2023
The salary scale for NSCC Faculty is based on twelve steps that range from $41.93- $62.06 per hour. New Faculty may receive up to a maximum of five steps for relevant occupational experience. Faculty may receive up to an additional four steps for full-time equivalent years of instructional experience (instructional experience is defined as teaching post-secondary). The maximum a new NSCC Faculty can expect to receive is nine steps or $56.83 per hour.
This is a Casual teaching opportunity, meaning the course may be delivered once per week in the evening for approximately one semester or it may be delivered on full weekdays, Monday to Friday, for a shorter duration. There may also be an opportunity to act as an instructor for the asynchronous online version of this course.
What you'll do
What you will be doing....
As a member of the School of Technology & Environment faculty team, you will:
- Provide theoretical instruction in the Configuration & Information Management course at one of our campuses in Halifax Regional Municipality. This course is an introduction to Configuration & Information Management in shipbuilding. Contents will cover quality controls, techniques, and processes that are used in large complex projects to identify, prioritize, track, and control change to critical project deliverables, design artifacts, and build documentation.
- Collaboratively design and deliver educational experiences for a diverse group of learners. This will include preparation, instruction, assessment, and evaluation of students using a broad range of flexible teaching and learning practices and technologies such as Learning Management Systems (e.g. Brightspace) and classroom technology.
- Related duties include but are not limited to academic and career advisement, participating on committees, program marketing, curriculum revision/development through collaborative practice within faculty working groups, supporting and monitoring work placements, liaising with business and industry, representing the College as required and upholding NSCC policies and procedures.
- You will also ensure health and safety practices and procedures are followed in your classroom, shops and labs. As a Faculty of NSCC, you will be expected to maintain currency with the latest industry practices relevant to your program and to continually develop your understanding of 21st century teaching and learning practices.
- This position may involve different delivery modalities (e.g. in-class, online, blended online/in-class), off-site instruction and alternate work hours such as weekends and evenings.
What you'll need
Qualifications and Occupational Experience:
- The minimum educational qualification for this position is a post-secondary education in a business or engineering discipline.
- Previous experience in Production, Planning & Scheduling and/or certification in Project Management (e.g. PMP) would be considered an asset.
- Solid knowledge and application of formal Configuration and Information Management (CIM) techniques, processes, and protocols.
- You have a minimum of five years (full time equivalent) of recent and related occupational experience with with large-scale project management and/or quality assurance, preferably in a marine construction/ shipbuilding environment.
- You are familiar with and comfortable using computer applications such as Microsoft Office Suite, E-mail, Brightspace and MS Teams.
- You possess basic internet skills to search for information coupled with internet information skills to evaluate the information you find. Above all, you are comfortable working in a digital environment; you take responsibility for acquiring knowledge about advancing technology; and you are committed to using technology in support of an exceptional student experience.
- Ideally, you have related experience in delivery of educational programs or training to adults.
- You have knowledge and experience in applying WHMIS, Occupational Health and Safety and occupation-specific safety practices.
- You are comfortable using multi-media technologies and a variety of platforms that will serve to engage students in online and blended learning capacities. The ability to teach effectively in an online/blended environment which includes building knowledge of best practices for the delivery and management of courses delivered whole or in part online, using a course management system to communicate with students and to foster and support a collaborative online learning community with and between students will be an important factor in your success.
Relevant Skills and Knowledge
- You demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion
- You possess excellent presentation skills and can facilitate content effectively and engagingly to a variety of audiences
- You are known for your superior interpersonal skills and can manage interpersonal relationships and issues effectively
- Your superb team building skills will enable you to develop a positive classroom dynamic and productive collegial relationships
- Your commitment to excellence, to life-long learning and to community involvement make you an ideal candidate for Faculty at NSCC
A little bit about us
Nova Scotia Community College
All NSCC positions are advertised every Tuesday and Thursday. To learn more about us and our hiring process, please follow this link.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Candidates selected for interviews will be expected to provide at least three recent, occupational references. The successful candidate will be expected to provide official transcripts to show proof of academic achievements.
NSCC is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. As part of this commitment, NSCC will ensure that applicants are provided reasonable accommodations, as required. If accommodation is needed to participate in the job application process, please contact Nikki Berrigan, HR Generalist at [email protected]. Our Employee Workplace Accommodation Policy can be found here: https://www.nscc.ca/about_nscc/policies_procedures/index.asp.