New Brunswick Community College (NBCC) is committed to transforming lives and communities. The College is currently seeking a dynamic and competent individual for the position of Career and Wellbeing Counsellor, which is located at the Miramichi campus. This is a regular employment opportunity, beginning as soon as possible.
When you work at NBCC, you are a valued team member and a part of a community of leaders who are driven by learning excellence and social and economic development.
What you'll do
Reporting to the Manager, Student Development, the Career and Wellbeing Counsellor is responsible to provide short-term career and personal counselling to students and to ensure the College meets or exceeds its student success and retention objectives. This is achieved by supporting student career and educational, advising on building resilience and linking students to community and provincial resources.
- Advise students on the career planning process through individual counselling/coaching, workshops, resource development and other services
- Assist students in acquiring relevant and current information on careers and labor markets to develop their work search knowledge, skills and strategies
- Administer and interpret both career and wellbeing assessment instruments
- Provide short-term personal counselling to students with any referrals to community agencies and services made in a timely manner
- Act as a key member of the College's emergency preparedness, threat assessment and crisis response teams, providing consultation, triage, and referral
- Promote the services of the Career & Wellbeing Counsellors through the design, delivery, and evaluation of workshops, lectures, exhibits and presentations which promote wellbeing and resilience
- Develop transition and wellbeing resources for students and establish networks with community and provincial agencies
- Facilitate connection to and coordination of campus and community resources for dealing with students in crisis
- Establish and facilitate student mentor peer groups and train peer coaches to provide additional support to students
- Provide resources to support the work of our students and our partners in promoting diversity, equity and inclusion
What you'll need
- Bachelor's degree in social science or related discipline, with a minimum of three (3) years of recent and related work experience; or a master's degree in social science or related discipline, with one (1) year of recent and related work experience
- Related work experience must include providing direct individual support through career and personal counselling, along with a broad background administering support services for personal and career growth
- Demonstrated experience in providing support workshops and training, working collaboratively and with extended teams to support individual or group success
- Preference may be given to candidates who have experience working in a post-secondary environment
Candidates must clearly demonstrate how they meet these qualifications on their resumes.
Other combinations of education and experience may be considered as equivalent. Subject to competition response, the minimum qualifications may be raised.
We're looking for
Look for yourself
A little bit about us
New Brunswick Community College (NBCC)
With six Campuses across the province, New Brunswick Community College (NBCC) transforms lives and communities across New Brunswick and contributes to the social and economic prosperity of our province.
Why work with NBCC?
- You want to make a difference. By working at NBCC, you can support students in achieving their educational and career aspirations, help meet the needs of employers and contribute to stronger communities across New Brunswick.
- You want to belong to something bigger. NBCC welcomes the individual experiences and perspectives of our learners, our staff and our partners. We nurture a culture of belonging where everyone feels valued and has opportunities to add value. NBCC is an equal opportunity employer building a dynamic team that is representative of the communities and industries that we serve.
- We're one of the best places to work in Atlantic Canada. For seven years in a row, we have been named one of Atlantic Canada's Top Employers because of our commitment to families, community service and employee engagement. This includes, paid time off to volunteer, comprehensive benefits packages and professional development opportunities.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
- A culture that is focused on nurturing a sense of belonging for all employees.
- A competitive salary range of $58,292.00 to $70,278.00 annually.
- Become a member of the New Brunswick Public Service Pension Plan.
- Opportunities for professional development and training.
- NBCC supports the wellbeing of its employees. We provide free access to an Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP).
- Paid sick and vacation leave.
- Volunteer leave.
- Tuition Reimbursement Programs (Employee: Tuition Reimbursement Program AND Family: Tuition Reduction Benefit - Spouse and Children).
This position is a unionized position where the terms and conditions of employment are in accordance with the NBUPPE - Education (Consultation and Development) collective agreement.
All applicants must be eligible to work in Canada at the time of application. This competition may be used to fill future vacancies at the same level.
The New Brunswick Community College (NBCC) is committed to being flexible in its operations and to the wellbeing of its employees. This includes considering reasonable requests for alternative work arrangements, when feasible, to meet the changing needs of the College and its students. In order to ensure our student needs are met, flexible work arrangements cannot extend beyond the New Brunswick border. NBCC employees must be living in a location that is a reasonable distance from one of our seven work locations around the Province.
We promote an equal opportunity work environment.
All interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed application, with a resume, online by January 10, 2023. All applications will be acknowledged upon receipt.