Dalhousie University is Atlantic Canada's leading research-intensive university and a driver of the region's intellectual, social and economic development. Located in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, with an Agricultural Campus in Truro/Bible Hill, Dalhousie is a truly national and international university, with more than half of our 18,800 students coming from outside of the province. Our 6,000 faculty and staff foster a vibrant, purpose-driven community, that's celebrating 200 years of academic excellence in 2018.
The Procurement Department is responsible for the acquisition of goods and services, providing the best value while ensuring compliance with university and government policies and regulations. Reporting to the Procurement Manager, the Buyer is responsible to complete purchasing activities for the acquisition of goods and services within the requirements of legislation, trade agreements and University policies and procedures and to support the effective operation of the Procurement Department.
- Review and verify purchase requisitions, research and obtain product quotations, make purchasing recommendations and approve purchases within authorized limit with the goal of maximizing purchasing dollars spent.
- Create and issue purchase orders; expedite deliveries and resolve problems and discrepancies.
- Complete analysis of bid submissions and quotations to recommend best value alternatives.
- Communicate with Dalhousie end users and vendors regarding procurement outcomes and solicitation notifications as it relates to overall procurement process. Expand the awareness and compliance with procurement policies and procedures throughout the University and vendor community.
- Maintain vendor relationships by meeting to discuss, service related problems, and service agreements; develop and assist with development of procedure documents and processes as relates to buyer and administrative responsibilities.
- Set-up and maintain on-line ordering agreements. Verify brokerage and transportation requirements, reconcile payments and maintain related records.
Qualifications: Business/Office Administration diploma with approximately four years' related experience (or equivalent combination of training and experience) is required. Certificate in Purchasing or enrolment in relevant procurement courses preferred. Proficient MS Office (Word, Excel, and Access) skills required. Capacity for understanding and adhering to procedures, as well as the ability to work within deadlines required. Previous public sector purchasing experience is strongly preferred.
Dalhousie University supports a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Our total compensation package includes a defined benefit pension plan, health and dental plans, a health spending account, an employee and family assistance program and a tuition assistance program.
Apply online by August 22nd, 2018 to competition N77-18074
Salary Range: $22.28 - $27.17 per hour (32.5 hours per week, $37,647 - $45,911 annually) (Clerk C-5).
This is a provisional classification. Formal classification procedures will be initiated by the Compensation & Job Evaluation Unit in approximately six months.
This position is part of the Nova Scotia Government and General Employees Union Local 77 (NSGEU).
Bargaining unit employees for NSGEU local 77 are given first consideration and will be notified regarding the status of their application. All other applicants will be considered when there is no qualified internal candidate. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Dalhousie University is committed to fostering a collegial culture grounded in diversity and inclusiveness. The university encourages applications from Aboriginal people, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, women, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community. For more information, please visit www.dal.ca/hiringfordiversity.
A little bit about us
Dalhousie University is Atlantic Canada’s leading research-intensive university and a driver of the region’s intellectual, social and economic development. Located in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, with an Agricultural Campus in Truro/Bible Hill, Dalhousie is a truly national and international university, with more than half of our 18,500 students coming from outside of the province. Our 6,000 faculty and staff foster a vibrant, purpose-driven community, that’s celebrating 200 years of academic excellence in 2018.