Emergency Medical Care Inc. (EMC) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Medavie Health Services that manages and operates ground ambulance, air medical transport and the medical communications operations in Nova Scotia through a performance-based contract with the provincial government's Emergency Health Services (EHS) division and the Department of Health and Wellness. As well, EMC operates TeleHealth 811 Mental Health and Addictions for Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island for the Department of Health.
EMC delivers a high-quality pre-hospital care program and Telehealth service to Nova Scotians each and every day. We achieve this through the more than 1,400 employees who work with us including highly-trained paramedics, nurses, medical communication officers and support staff.
NATURE AND SCOPE
The Business Applications Specialist will report to the Manager, Applications and Data Management, and have reporting responsibility to the Directors and Senior Managers who are business owners of the assigned applications. The Business Applications Specialist will be a member of EMC's Data Management Team (DMT), which is responsible for data management and application support across the organization, and will work closely with EMC/Medavie Health Services Information Technology Support (EMC/MHS ITS) team. The incumbent will also work closely with key business unit members.
The Specialist will be responsible to lead and implement the configuration of these business applications as the subject matter expert, and will be responsible for fully developing and testing workflows, monitoring application and interface performance, report generation, report execution and providing ongoing support. As this data and information contained in these systems is highly confidential, the Business Applications Specialist will be expected to have experience and understanding of data and system security, privacy and will be required to implement auditing and accountability processes. This position will have an in-depth understanding of the application databases, fields, and relationships with other data sources.
What you'll do
This position entails, but is not limited to, the following:
- Configure applications to meet the business need by analyzing, designing, developing, testing, implementing and providing ongoing support, working with business unit end-users. Work with EMC business owners and super users to drive consistency and effective configuration.
- Responsible for system development life cycle stages, including defining system requirements, system analysis and design, system security and sizing, data structures and concepts, and configuration management.
- Administer user access and other application end-user security features, such as user role categories & permission levels.
- Understand system security and identify risks, working with MHS ITS Data Security Officer.
- Provide and withdraw user access to corporate systems.
- Work with business owners to set up and maintain processes for system auditing and accountability for data and information accessed by self and other users.
- Work with business owners for approvals and regular reviews of reports and queries run by self and other end-users to ensure confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Be responsible to identify and develop trending, analysis and report requirements.
- Build and test reports and data extracts as required, to ensure data is valid and reliable and report on outcome measures important to the organization, government and other stakeholders.
- Provide timely troubleshooting and application support for the Workday Human Capital Software and TeleStaff scheduling critical applications.
- Effectively communicate with non-technical users to resolve problems and errors in the application.
- Offer coaching for key users and facilitate "train the trainers", as required.
- Cross-train Data Management Team members to ensure adequate application support redundancy.
- As appropriate, make autonomous decisions, working with key stakeholders, on issues related to assigned applications.
What you'll need
Education and Experience:
- Minimum five (5) years database/application support or management experience, preferably in Human Capital Management Systems, required
- University degree or equivalent in Information Technology, Information Systems, System Administration or relevant and adequate combination of training and experience required
- Experience as application specialist or similar role for HR, finance, scheduling and/or healthcare applications and systems a strong asset
- Training in Microsoft operating systems and PC-based computer applications and network architecture required
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel required
- Training, certification and/or significant experience in databases required
- Training certification in business intelligence tools, such as IBM Cognos, an asset
- Experience working with networking technologies, such as TCP-IP, wireless, Bluetooth considered an asset
- Experience working on project teams related to applications an asset
- Experience leading others and/or a team an asset
Knowledge & Skills:
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively communicate
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Able to effectively lead a group to work on change or projects related to applications
- Very strong organization skills with ability to prioritize and multi-task effectively
- Adaptable in a rapidly changing environment
- Familiarity with project management methodologies and system development life cycle
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills with the ability to analyze data and make recommendations
- Ability to proactively work independently with minimal supervision and works well in a team environment
- Strong technical skills including software configuration, design, testing, integration and deployment methods
- Demonstrated high level of professional ethics in dealing with confidential and sensitive data
A little bit about us
Emergency Medical Care Inc. (EMC)
Emergency Medical Care Inc. (EMC) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Medavie Health Services (MHS) that manages and operates ground ambulance, air medical transport and the medical communications operations in Nova Scotia through a performance-based contract with the provincial government's Emergency Health Services (EHS) Operations division and the Department of Health and Wellness. As well, EMC operates TeleHealth/811 medical communications for Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island for the Department of Health.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
As an employee of EMC, we are accountable to our patients and coworkers by participating in and supporting all safety related initiatives, as well as acting in a manner that fosters a culture that focuses on patient safety and a safe workplace.
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We are committed to building an inclusive team that represents a variety of backgrounds, cultures, races, perspectives and skills. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates including women, persons of any sexual orientations and gender identities and/or expressions, Indigenous persons, African Canadians, other racialized groups, persons with disabilities. Candidates who identify as being from any of these groups are encouraged to voluntarily self-identify.