Kraken Robotics offers a unique career opportunity to work with an internationally recognized leader in ocean technology that is harnessing our world class talent to provide superior subsea solutions for global security, environmental, and scientific challenges. Our highly talented team design and manufacture technology platforms for NATO navies and commercial clients throughout the world and provide acoustic 3D Synthetic Aperture Sonar (SAS) data solutions and imaging in the offshore sector with increasing focus on offshore renewables.
Kraken offers an attractive and competitive compensation package designed to reward our team for a job well done. With locations around the world, we support remote packages and encourage professional and cultural collaborations. Kraken is an equal opportunity employer focused on promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion and we value the diversity of our team that contributes to our company growth and development.
We are seeking an experienced Automation and Control (Electrical) Engineer to join our development team. The successful candidate will be able to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, team environment and be interested in contributing to the direction of future Kraken products.
What you'll do
- Develop and design of shipboard electrical systems (3 phase, 480 V)
- Design data acquisition systems (sensors/actuators) for system control
- Develop industrial automation software and embedded firmware
- Establish design criteria for projects using required codes and standards
- Create and maintain electrical drawings and technical documentation
- Participate in the design review process
- Direct activities to ensure that manufacturing, construction, installation, and operational testing conform to functional specifications and customer requirements
- Work with the Production department to provide technical assistance during the manufacturing process
- Work with customers to understand project requirements and provide operational support while in the field
What you'll need
- Electrical Engineering degree or equivalent engineering discipline with 5+ years experience.
- Understanding of design standards and strong troubleshooting skills.
- Demonstrated technical skills along with a proven track record for success.
- Strong written and oral communications skills (technical reporting)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Must be able to work independently, as well as effectively within a team environment.
- High degree of organization, with the ability to prioritize tasks.
- Experience with high power systems, AC/DC motors and electric motor control
- Appreciation of other engineering disciplines (Digital and Analog Electronics)
- Fundamentals of software and firmware development (C/C++, Python, LabVIEW)
- Familiarity with various communication protocols (TCP, RS-232, CANbus, Modbus, etc.)
- Data processing and control algorithms (PID)
- Electronics assembly and troubleshooting
- Experience with Sonar/ROV systems especially in an ocean environment
- Familiarity with design of systems in the marine environment
- Industrial automation and controls
- Experience with military contracts
Experience with the following would be considered a definite asset:
- Experience with variable frequency drives, inverters and electric motor control
- National Instruments hardware and software (LabVIEW)
- Electrical Design CAD (Zuken E3)
A little bit about us
Kraken Robotic Systems Inc.
Kraken Robotic Systems Inc. is a marine technology company engaged in the design and development of advanced handling systems, sensors, software, subsea batteries, and underwater robotics for Unmanned Maritime Vehicles used in military and commercial applications. www.krakenrobotics.com
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Want to apply your skills, knowledge and expertise to push the boundaries of underwater intelligence - which help governments defend and make our oceans safe, or ensure critical offshore energy and communications infrastructure is installed and maintained efficiently? If innovation drives you, and you want a career that makes a difference, helping humanity overcome the challenges in our oceans - safely, efficiently, and sustainably - then come join us at Kraken Robotics.
The location for this position in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada.