Position: Associate Registrar, Service Centre (APC)
Department: Enrolment Services
Annual Salary: $78,740 - $101,478 (Group 8)
Under the direction of the Associate Vice President (Enrolment Management) & Registrar, the Associate Registrar, Service Centre, works in close collaboration with members of the Saint Mary's Enrolment Management team. The Associate Registrar, Service Centre:
- oversees the Service Centre, including Financial Aid and Awards;
- provides leadership in planning, implementation and operation of the one-stop service centre for students;
- is responsible for the daily operations, long term leadership and team building in the Service Centre;
- oversees the timely and accurate billing and collection of student fees, including accounts in arrears;
- oversees the delivery of financial aid advising and awarding of scholarships/bursaries to returning students; and
- provides the Associate Vice President with periodic, concise and meaningful management reports.
What you'll do
Further duties as the Associate Registrar, Service Centre include, but are not limited to:
- Supervising full-time staff members and student employees; assigning tasks and/or delegates responsibility; monitoring performance and giving feedback on a day-to-day and monthly basis.
- Overseeing the budget and forecasting for scholarships and bursaries.
- Providing semi-annual budget projections for operations.
- Reviewing and monitoring of sections of the Income Tax Act directly related to student tax regulations, and regulations of other external agencies (e.g., Student loans).
- Overseeing the development, implementation and monitoring of accounts receivable collection strategies and supporting processes that improve the University's bad debt expense and allowance for doubtful accounts.
- Developing policies for financial administrative improvements.
- Developing registration guidelines for Athletics as they relate to outstanding accounts and overseeing the enforcement of these guidelines for students with Athletic Financial Awards.
- Establishing and monitoring collection agency relationships to assess account recovery activities of the agency.
- Overseeing the program fee assessment and reconciliation with the Faculty of Graduate Studies & Research.
- Overseeing the creation and submission of the annual Statistics Canada Survey and the subsequent submissions to MPHEC and NS Labour & Advanced Education.
- Overseeing proposed fee changes from faculties and department heads and compiling the annual fee schedule.
- Overseeing the reconciliation for Aramark, SMUSA and the NS University Student Bursary.
- Overseeing and ensuring the completion of accounting and analytic tasks including but not limited to:
- Monthly analysis of payment trends and collection activity of student accounts receivable;
- Periodic analysis of other trends associated with student default activity such as retroactive withdrawals, relevance of deposit systems and other fee assessment programs;
- Approve adjustments to student accounts;
- Oversees reconciliation and preparation of scholarship T4A's and student T2202A's;
- Oversees cashier summaries & deposit preparation and transmission.
- Oversees the daily, monthly and year end Banner feeds to finance and reconciliations
- Explores new technologies for the purpose of implementing change to make continuous improvements in practices.
- Fostering a culture of client service quality and continuous improvement.
- Participating in the design and delivery of transactional and information services to students through the Enrolment Service Centre, including the website, SMUport, Banner self-service and social media.
- Reviewing and making recommendations on system changes to departments that process and refer to student financial and academic regulatory information and source documents to Enrolment Services.
- Overseeing the development and delivery of student financial advisory services.
- Coordinating staff participation in Welcome week and the Service Expo.
- Troubleshooting functional problems in consultation with ITSS and the Associate Registrar - Systems and Records.
- Coordinating testing/implementation of new system functionality in consultation.
- Reviewing and evaluating existing systems to ensure they are providing maximum support for operating processes and instructing staff on policy and process changes.
- Identifying risk management issues within service unit and recommending mitigating operational plans.
- Completing quarterly Banner security audit.
- Data custodian for Accounts Receivable Banner data and approving access to forms and reporting.
What you'll need
To be the successful Associate Registrar, Service Centre you will possess a professional Accounting Designation or certification or Master's degree in business and a minimum five (5) years of recent and related experience. Experience at a Canadian post-secondary institution will be considered an asset. Your experience will include financial management, particularly accounts receivable and collections, demonstrated leadership skills, strong analytic skills, and a high degree of professionalism and project management skills. Proficiency in Microsoft Office, experience in the delivery of high quality customer service, and demonstrated supervisory experience will round out your success in this position. Experience in Ellucian Banner, Crystal Reports, and supervisor experience in a unionized environment will all be considered assets.
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Visit our web site at www.smu.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
The search committee will begin to consider applications on October 17, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Secretary IV (NSGEU Local 79)
Halifax, NS, CA
Work Integrated Learning Coordinator (1 Year Contract)
Halifax, NS, CA
Three (3) Limited Term Appointments, FISMS, Finance
Halifax, NS, CA
One (1) Limited Term Appointment, FISMS, Management Science
Halifax, NS, CA
Administrative Manager – Facilities Management (APC)
Halifax, NS, CA