Date Posted: December 20, 2023
Posting Deadline: Until position is filled
Type of Employment: 3-year Limited Term Appointment, Full-Time
Group Affiliation: SMUFU, Rank of Assistant Professor
Preferred Start Date: July 1, 2024
We invite applications for a three-year Limited Term Appointment position at the rank of Assistant Professor in the area of Industrial/Organizational Psychology. At Saint Mary's University, you will be surrounded by a talented and dedicated team of professionals committed to accessibility, diversity, and the provision of a positive and supportive learning environment. We recognize the importance of everyone's contribution and growth in the University's success.
The successful applicant will join the 22-member Department of Psychology, which offers major and honours degrees (B.Sc. and B.A.), MSc. programs in Applied Psychology (Industrial/Organizational Psychology stream; Forensic Psychology stream), a Ph.D. program in Industrial/Organizational Psychology, and a certificate program in Human Resource Management. The applicant will also be able to participate and teach in two new online programs: the online MSc (I/O) program and the online Graduate Diploma in Personnel Psychology. Faculty members in the Department have access to supportive department assistants, graduate teaching assistants, IT support, the Patrick Power Library (including a large array of in-print and electronic holdings), up-to-date statistical and survey applications (e.g., SPSS, Mplus, Qualtrics, Gorilla Experiment Builder), office space, and lab space.
Department members have the opportunity to participate in the CN Centre for Occupational Health and Safety, the Faculty of Science's M.Sc. and PhD in Applied Science programs, the interdisciplinary Master of Applied Health Services Research program, and the Management PhD program. For additional information about the University and the Department, please see our website at: https://www.smu.ca/psychology/index.html.
Job Information and Responsibilities
As Assistant Professor, the successful applicant will:
- Have a strong desire to help create excellent student learning experiences through curriculum development and delivery of undergraduate and graduate teaching, primarily in the areas of personnel psychology, organizational psychology, statistics, and research methods.
- Develop and maintain an innovative, externally funded research program in their field, with student involvement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Contribute to administrative service activities within the Department, the Faculty of Science, and the University.
While a limited term appointment, it is possible that the position may become a tenure-track position over the course of the appointment.
Experience and Education Requirements
To be the successful applicant you will have:
- PhD in I/O Psychology (or a closely related field). Having postdoctoral or organizational experience is an asset but not required.
- A demonstrated commitment to excellence in university teaching.
- Strong record of research and well-developed plan to establish an independent research program.
- A plan to contribute positively to service activities within the university.
Send complete applications by email to:
I/O Psychology LTA Hiring Committee
Email: [email protected]
Applicants should provide a single pdf file containing:
- Cover letter (including a clear statement of status as a Canadian citizen or permanent resident)
- Curriculum vitae
- Teaching dossier including a statement on teaching philosophy, evidence of teaching effectiveness, EDIA considerations, and details on experiences in training students/HQP (Highly Qualified Personnel).
- Concise overview of your current and future program of research
- Names and contact information for three academic referees
The Selection Committee will begin considering applications as they arrive. Applications are accepted until the position is filled. We thank all applicants for their interest. Because of the volume of applications, we will confirm receipt of your application, but only candidates selected for interviews will be further contacted by the selection committee. Thanks for your understanding.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; However, preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. In alignment with Saint Mary's Employment Equity and Diversity Policy, preference will be given to candidates who identify as a member of a visible minority or as a persons with a disability.
At Saint Mary's University, equity and diversity are integral to excellence and enrich our community. As an institution committed to fostering an environment of inclusion and respect, we welcome applications from women, Indigenous peoples, racialized persons/visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity and others who might contribute to the growth and enrichment of our community. Applicants are encouraged to self-identify. If you require accommodations during the recruitment process, please contact [email protected].
A little bit about us
Saint Mary's University - Faculty Employment Opportunities
Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's top primary undergraduate universities--known for its international collaborations, leadership in entrepreneurship, and research that benefits local and global communities. Our programs in Arts, Science, Graduate Studies and the Sobey School of Business are among Canada's best and feature professors who are committed to the success of their students. Saint Mary's provides our 7,000 students with a place that fosters possibility, excellent research opportunities, and distinguished graduate and professional programs combined with a caring community. Nestled in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, on Canada's east coast, Saint Mary's University is marked by iconic buildings, green spaces and fresh ocean air. The Saint Mary's University community is committed to a prosperous future for the world-a world without limits.