Position: Assistant Manager (APC)
Department: Campus Store
Annual Salary: $54,091 - $69,708 (Group 5)
What you'll do
Under the direction of the Campus Store Manager, the Assistant Manager is responsible for the supervision of a complement of full time, part time and casual staff. The Assistant Manager is responsible for the generation of profitable revenue generation through the buying of merchandise for resale within the campus store and E-commerce site. The Assistant Manager will also actively engage and promote the Campus Store to university stakeholders in order to promote the sale of apparel and sundries for their respective departments, societies or clubs.
Duties as the Assistant Manager include, but are not limited to:
- Buying of apparel, supplies and sundries for resale within the Campus Store or on the E-Commerce site to generate profitable sales by interacting with both new and established vendors.
- Utilizing the retail operating system and client support to strategically manage store inventory, identify best and slow sellers, and ultimately influencing profitable buying decision.
- Providing direction to shipping and receiving staff regarding pricing, ticketing, on hand integrity of general merchandise and ensuring timely movement of the merchandise from the receiving area to the sales floor.
- Following up with Customer Service Representatives and Customer Service Clerks on best sellers and being proactive in placing reorders and addressing slow sellers.
- Identifying hot new trends in the university bookstore industry through extensive interaction and networking at buying shows, conducting market research and soliciting feedback form the university community.
- Working closely with External Affairs to ensure university brand standards are respected on all merchandise purchased.
- Assuming ownership of all processes related to general merchandise, shortages and the retail operating system.
- Developing strategic initiatives to positon the Campus Store as the sole source for all branded items for the University, Faculties, Athletics and Alumni.
- Identifying and sourcing opportunities that will appeal to internal departments in terms of branded products.
- Implementing a strategic marketing campaign targeted at internal departments.
- Coordinating ordering of merchandise for University departments via external vendors, e-commerce platform and in store selections/presentation.
- Consulting with the Campus Store Manager to review and develop store policy and procedures that improve the effectiveness and efficiencies within the Campus Store.
- Acting as a backup during periods of vacation/sick time for full time Customer Service Representative supporting scheduling and payroll functions.
- Completing payment requests for outstanding invoices.
- Completing monthly reconciliations of P-card transactions following guidelines by the Procure to Pay Services.
- Providing sales forecasting for sales of merchandise for use in the budgeting process by the Campus Store Manager.
- Supervising a complement of full-time, part-time and casual staff.
- Assigning tasks and/or delegating responsibility.
- Coaching and monitoring performance and providing formal performance feedback.
- Counselling and providing training and development opportunities to enhance performance levels and team participation.
- Selecting and recommending direct reports; confirming selection, and transferring of indirect reports.
- Resolving employee concerns either directly or through established grievance/complaint procedures.
- Initiating disciplinary action through recommendation and justification of discharge where warranted.
- Establishing and overseeing departmental employee development programs based on individual needs assessment in context of the jobs.
What you'll need
As the successful Assistant Manager you will possess Undergraduate degree in Commerce or Business Administration with a minimum of three (3) years of directly related experience or a certificate in Retail or Business Management with seven (7)+ years of progressive related experience may be considered. You have the proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively and to participate in consultative decision-making; demonstrated strong organizational skills; supervisory experience in a unionized environment; excellent oral and written communication skills; strong interpersonal skills; and cross-cultural working experience.
We're looking for
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Visit our web site at www.smu.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
Competition Opens: January 7, 2019 Competition Closes: January 23, 2019
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary's University promotes a Healthy Campus including a Scent-Free environment and a Smoke-Free Campus
Functional Analyst (NSGEU Local 79)
Halifax, NS, CA
Academic Services Coordinator (9 month contract)
Halifax, NS, CA
Carpenter (CUPE, Local 4491) Temporary, Full-time
Halifax, NS, CA
Painter (CUPE Local 4491) 2 Temporary, Full-time positions
Halifax, NS, CA
Secretary II (Contract to December 20, 2019)
Halifax, NS, CA