Position: Assistant Director, Student Culture and Experience (APC)
Department: Student Services and Affairs
Annual Salary: $79,921 - $103,000 (Group 8)
Under the general direction of the Senior Director, Student Affairs and Services, the Assistant Director, Student Culture and Experience will be responsible for overseeing the operations focused towards the engagement and experiences of the student population both broadly but also for specific sub-populations of students including: Residence Life, International Student Centre, Indigenous Student Advisor, Student Transitions Specialist (Student Engagement) and oversee services for Black students.. The position will oversee the Student Code of Conduct and all related activities to maintain and develop the Code. The position will be responsible for the on-going supervision and development of the Holy Cross Chaplaincy. The position will be responsible for leading the development of new initiatives to enhance Co-Curricular student experience of all students. The incumbent will lead in the development and strategic planning for the department.
What you'll do
Duties as the Assistant Director, Student Culture and Experience include but are not limited to:
- Supervising full-time employees; assigning tasks and/or delegating responsibility; monitoring performance and giving feedback.
- Coordinating meetings with representatives in charge of Residence Life, International Student Centre, Indigenous Student Advisor, Student Transitions Officer, Black/African Nova Scotian Student Advisor and the Campus Chaplaincy to ensure they are working collaboratively to better service the students of Saint Mary's. Managing the budgets, initiatives, services and programs under these areas.
- Preparing annual reports and developing and implementing a strategic plan for Student Culture and Experience.
- Responsible for developing and implementing the Student Code of Conduct; accepting and adjudicating complaints under the Code and recommending disciplinary and/or developmental actions as appropriate.
- Providing guidance to Holy Cross Chaplaincy to ensure activities are reflective of the expectations of the University, the Patrick Power Foundation and the Roman Catholic Diocese.
- Co-Chairing the Behavioral Intervention Action Committee to ensure that students of concern are identified and that a risk assessment matrix and needed responses are developed.
- Participating in the Sexual Violence Response Team to provide advice on institutional responses related to supporting a survivor-centric approach.
- Preparing reports, organizing meetings, developing and maintaining measurable outcomes, participating in discussions, presenting materials as required and conducting environmental scanning to stay abreast of trends in all related areas.
- Sitting on provincial committees related to Indigenous initiatives related and initiatives related to the Truth and Reconciliation Council Report.
- Sitting on committees related to Black/African Nova Scotian student related matters.
- Meeting with students, representatives of student government, faculty, staff, government representatives to respond to/or initiate inquiries, requests and item follow up.
- Responsible for ensuring that all areas have developed clear and accessible webpages and social media communications.
- Overseeing the development of promotional materials and broader communication approaches.
What you'll need
To be the successful Assistant Director, Student Culture and Experience you will possess Master's Degree in Education, Business, Arts, Intercultural Studies or International Development Studies or equivalent related field with a minimum five (5) to seven (7) years of recent and related experience, which includes increasing levels of leadership, responsibility and accountability. You have excellent communication, interpersonal and team building skills with extensive cross-cultural working experience. Demonstrated supervisory experience; unionized environment would be consider an asset. Proven ability to promote collaboration and build partnerships along with marketing, planning and analytical skills; and a proficiency with Microsoft Office and database management.
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Visit our web site at www.smu.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
Competition Opens: June 7, 2019 Competition Closes: June 26, 2019
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary's Univeristy promoties a Healthy Campus including a Scent-Free environment and a Smoke-Free Campus
Advancement Information Integrity Specialist (1 Year Contract)
Halifax, NS, CA
Security Officer (NSGEU Local 170)
Halifax, NS, CA
Two - Eight-Month Limited-Term Appointments - Dept. of Management
Halifax, NS, CA
8-Month Limited Term Appointment - Classics
Halifax, NS, CA
8-Month LTA - Int. Development Studies Program
Halifax, NS, CA