Assistant Client Services Coordinator
Location: Halifax, NS
Type of Employment: Full Time, Casual (up to 6 months)
Union Status: Excluded
Competition # MET 23166
Closing Date: November 22, 2023
Under the general supervision and direction of the Property Manager, the Assistant Client Service Coordinator is responsible for discharging an extensive variety of duties concerning both tenant relations and property administration. More specifically, the incumbent is required to be knowledgeable of all facets of the Nova Scotia Provincial Housing Agency's; policies and procedures regarding tenant eligibility, suitability, tenant selection criteria and procedures, estimating rent, leasing and eviction procedures. The incumbent is also required to have a general knowledge of building technology and be able to identify maintenance issues and report them to the Maintenance Supervisor or responsible staff.
What you'll do
• Assist applicants with the preparation of application forms and supporting documentation and screen applications for eligibility, when necessary, make referrals to Community Relations Officers (CRO) to carry out home visits for the purpose of completing the application.
• Verify tenant income and family composition information, estimate rents and coordinate lease preparation with the Income Review Dept.
• Take Application through the Tenant Selection Committee Process and process in a timely manner according to policy.
• For new tenants and transfers, schedule move-in/out inspections, assist with management of unit renovation budget, refurbishment process, new tenant orientations and lease signing.
• Carry out routine property visits and inspections, along with accompanying maintenance staff on vacancies and annual unit inspections, as required.
• Coordinate safety and protection related activities including fire drills and presentations by local police. May also be required to co-ordinate health and social activities, such as public nurse visits and seasonal events.
• Ensure that lease covenants are adhered to by all tenants and respond to contraventions in the manner prescribed in the operations manual, including meeting with tenants, preparation of required reports and correspondence, and preparing recommendations for eviction or non-renewal of lease.
What you'll need
- Successful completion of a Business Administration diploma program, plus four years' related experience.
- Competency in desktop software, including Microsoft Office.
- Ability to adapt to and work effectively with a variety of situations, individuals, or groups.
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial statements.
- Ability to relate well to our diverse clientele, to build appropriate rapport, build constructive and effective relationships, use diplomacy and tact to diffuse high tension situations comfortably.
- Possess a valid Nova Scotia driver's license with access to a reliable vehicle for work purposes.
- Working knowledge of Yardi Property Management software.
- Emergency First Aid and WHMIS certifications.
Competencies required at this level of work are Interpersonal skills, Organizational skills, Client Orientation, Effective Interactive Communication, Teamwork, and Initiative.
An equivalent combination of training, education and experience may be considered.
Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
If you are a team player, who is passionate about improving the lives of Nova Scotians, you are the candidate we are looking for to join our team. We will assess qualifications using one of more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks. Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. Checks may include one or more of the following: criminal background checks, driver's abstract, and confirmation of education credentials.
We're looking for
A little bit about us
Nova Scotia Provincial Housing Agency
Nova Scotia Provincial Housing Agency (NSPHA) is the provincial government agency responsible for the administration and delivery of affordable housing solutions for low-income Nova Scotians.
We contribute to the prosperity of Nova Scotia by helping individuals and families find a home that's right for them, at a price they can afford, in a healthy and vibrant community that offers the services, support and opportunities they need. We accomplish this by working closely with other levels of government as well as private and community partners.
Across its districts, NSPHA provides more than 11,200 safe, affordable homes as part of its Housing Services to seniors and families. District offices manage the day-to-day operations of Nova Scotia's housing stock. Their responsibilities include administering tenant applications and placements, collecting rent, resolving tenant issues, and maintaining and repairing properties.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Based on the employment status, eligibility and union agreement, the NSPHA offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs and flexible working schedules.
Classification: PR 04 to PR 06
Salary Range: $26.57
Work Week: 35 hours
Note: This is not a Civil Service position.
We are committed to employing staff who are representative of the diverse community we serve. If you are a member of one or more of the following designated groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your cover letter or resume: Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your application.
Please merge your cover letter and resume into one document when applying. In the cover letter or resume, please quote the competition number and name.
Apply through Career Beacon.
Submissions must be received by midnight on the closing date. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.