The Chapman Group is delighted to be supporting our client The Village of New Maryland in finding their next Assistant Clerk to join their team.
The Assistant Clerk is responsible for scheduling, preparing for, and keeping records of Council meetings, keeping records of Council-In-Committee meetings, providing advice and assistance to Council, and performing a number of other duties stipulated by the Local Governance Act and/or delegated by the CAO/Clerk. The ability to communicate is at the core of this role, as the Assistant Clerk will require the presentation of information, both verbal and written to various stakeholders in a manner that influences and motivates. This role will constructively challenge organizational routines and practices, and supports new ideas with demonstrated collaboration that leads to building strong relationships both internally and externally.
What you'll do
· Provides ongoing support to ensure the routine scheduling, preparation for and record-keeping for Council and Council-In-Committee (CIC) meetings.
· In consultation with the CAO/Clerk, provides advice to the Mayor and Council members on municipal government procedures, protocols, and relevant provisions in statutory and legislative instruments, and assists Council members to ensure that they are operating within the limitation of their rights, responsibilities and liabilities
· Participates in the development of new by-laws or by-law amendments, including researching and gathering information, consulting with the CAO/Clerk and legal counsel, preparing drafts for review, finalizing drafts to present to Council for approval, preparing motions for Councillors for readings, enacting amendments and consolidating them with the original by-law
· Prepares and reviews correspondence and other documents on behalf of Council and/or the CAO/Clerk.
· Ensures two-way communication. Listens and delivers clear, concise messages to employees and residents.
· Participates in the effective distribution of duties with the CAO/Clerk to ensure appropriate allocation of workload and priority setting.
· Jointly with the CAO/Clerk, keeps the documents and records of the Council.
· Keeps and maintains originals of all by-laws and resolutions, and maintains an indexed register of certified copies of all by-laws.
· Establishes and maintains effective record management and retrieval systems in accordance with legislative requirements and municipal needs.
· Communicates on a regular and timely basis information that is relevant to the Village of New Maryland and related employees.
· In the event of an emergency, serves as Duty Officer in the Emergency Operations Centre and alternate Council Liaison in the absence of the CAO/Clerk.
What you'll need
The minimum qualifications required to successfully perform the job are as follows:
· High School graduation supplemented by post-secondary education in a relevant discipline. The successful candidate will be required to take courses towards the completion of the National Advanced Certification in Local Authority Administration (NACLAA) Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
· Advanced skills in using office equipment, computers and software, including proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
· Excellent time management, and follow-through skills
· Three to five years of relevant work experience in organizing and coordinating meetings, preparing agendas and taking minutes, establishing and maintaining record systems, and handling public inquiries.
· Teamwork and relationship-building skills, including the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with peers, Council members, residents, government officials, and other stakeholders.
In addition to the above mentioned requirements, the successful candidate must be fully vacccinated (first and second vaccination)
Note: The salary range for this role is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
We're looking for
A little bit about us
The Chapman Group
The Chapman Group is happy to support our client with this recruitment.