Designed to meet the needs of multiple events, Nova Scotia's Halifax Convention Centre offers over 120,000 square feet of flexible event space in the heart of downtown. The Halifax Convention Centre is part of the Nova Centre, a million-square-foot, mixed-use development that includes a hotel, office towers, and retail space. It is the largest integrated development project in the province's history.
The Halifax Convention Centre, managed by Events East Group, is now inviting applications for the position of Assistant Banquet Chef with our Culinary team.
Reporting to the Executive Chef & Executive Sous Chef while under the direction of the department's Banquet Chef, these leadership roles will provide a wide range of support with event forecasting and contract delivery, inventory requisitions, and rotation of both prepared products and operational par-stock levels, staff scheduling, team coaching and supervision, and ensuring a clean, safe, and respectful work environment. Striving for exceptional standards of culinary excellence, the Assistant Banquet Chef helps design and create signature recipes for various event menus and leads the delivery of outstanding food service production infused with the latest in modern culinary trends. Grounded in experience and fueled by passion, these roles enable our teams to create memorable event experiences for our guests as we connect the world to Nova Scotia through savory culinary delights.
- Completion of a one or two-year recognized culinary program.
- Red seal certification as Cook or international equivalence.
- Previous culinary leadership experience from a supervisory and/or supportive role.
- 5+ years' experience in high-volume culinary production (500+) with competencies in fine dining.
- Proven communication, organizational, and time management skills.
- Strong computer skills, i.e.. Excel, Word and event management and scheduling software systems.
- Reliable, friendly individuals with a strong attention to detail and high standards of personal hygiene and grooming with regard to food safety.
- Proficiencies in Rational oven technology an asset.
- Able to work standing for long periods of time, to perform repetitive tasks, lift up to 50lbs, push or pull wheeled equipment up to 200lbs (assisted)
- Must be legally permitted to work in Canada.
- Must be available to work flexible shifts, including early morning, evening, weekends, and holidays as required.
BENEFITS OF JOINING OUR TEAM:
- You will work with award-winning, internationally recognized chefs, within our brand-new state-of-the-art kitchen.
- Be provided with high-quality uniforms, new equipment, and a variety of tools.
- Medical & dental benefits and pension program.
Here is your opportunity to advance your culinary career and punctuate the next big event by helping deliver exceptional experiences!
Events East is committed to a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons, and persons from the LGBTQ+ community. We encourage applicants to self-identify.
During the recruitment process, applicants have the right to request an accommodation. Any applicant invited to participate in testing or an interview and who requires an accommodation should discuss their needs, in confidence, with the Recruiter when selected.
TO APPLY: Please send your resume and references to [email protected] with BANQUET CHEF in the subject line or via Career Beacon.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be reviewed as they are received until the position is filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For further information, please visit our website at www.eventseast.com
A little bit about us
We manage and operate the Halifax Convention Centre, Scotiabank Centre and Ticket Atlantic. Created as part of a government partnership between the Province of Nova Scotia and Halifax Regional Municipality, we work in collaboration with them to manage our business in a responsible and transparent manner.
We were established in 2014 through legislation to operate, maintain and manage the activities of the Halifax Convention Centre in a manner that will promote and develop economic development, tourism and industry in the Province generally, and the Municipality.
Effective April 1, 2017, our mandate expanded to include the continued management and operations of Scotiabank Centre and Ticket Atlantic, formerly under Trade Centre Limited (TCL).
Our facilities and the events we attract are platforms for prosperity. Whether we’re attracting large delegations or hosting an elite group of athletes for an international competition, we are a catalyst for new opportunities and connections between Nova Scotia and the world.
MISSION: WE CONNECT THE WORLD TO NOVA SCOTIA BY CREATING MEMORABLE EVENT EXPERIENCES.
VISION: OUR PEOPLE AND OUR COMMUNITY MAKE US THE FAVOURED EVENT DESTINATION FOR OUR GUESTS.