Position: Admissions Officer (1 Year Contract)
Department: Enrolment Services
Salary: $46,000 - $50,000 + 4% in lieu vacation
Under the general direction of the Director of Admissions, the Admissions Officer will assess undergraduate applications and supporting documentation for entrance consideration. This position will be expected to make admission decisions while adhering to the university's admission requirements. As part of the Admissions team, the position will collaborate with the broader Enrolment Services community supporting enrolment management initiatives.
What you'll do
Duties in this position include, but are not limited to:
- Reviews admission applications including supporting documentation such as high school/ university transcripts for entrance to Saint Mary's University undergraduate programs.
- Provides admission decisions with the expectation of providing rationale for both accepted and rejected files.
- Awards entrance scholarships to applicants meeting approved criteria.
- Remains up to date with domestic and international transcripts and grading schemes.
- Maintains directory of grading schemes and acceptable admission requirement equivalencies.
- Meets with prospective students and provide admission information and advice to support positive admission outcomes.
- Assists with the selection process of 'named' scholarship recipients.
- Develops, implements and maintains a process to reach out to applicants who have applied, but are missing documents.
- Collaborates with Assistant Registrar - Admissions, ensuring prospective students receive accurate information on admission standards, the admission process, admission decisions, admission appeals, and scholarships.
- Supports Open Houses and other Admissions initiatives throughout the year.
- Other duties as assigned.
What you'll need
To be the successful Admissions Officer you will possess an undergraduate degree and two (2) year directly related experience, preferably in a post-secondary environment. You demonstrate highly developed time management and organizational skills; ability to coordinate a large volume of complex work with competing priorities and to meet/ exceed timelines. In addition the succesful candidate will have strong cross-cultural interpersonal skills and the ability to work in multi-cultural environment with students, faculty and staff. Demonstrated ability to exercise professional judgement and discretion, analytical skills and highly developed computer competencies in software such as Microsoft Office, desktop publishing and communication software (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook). Banner experience is considered an asset.
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Visit our web site at www.smu.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
Competition Opens: February 6, 2020 Competition Closes: February 20, 2020
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary's University promotes a Healthy Campus including a Scent-Free environment and a Smoke-Free Campus.