Administrative Support - Graduate Career Services- Sobey School of Business (Casual Position)
Dept and/or Faculty: Sobey School of Business, Graduate Career Services
Hourly rate: $20.00/hr.
Reporting to the Manager of Graduate Career Services, the Admin Support - Graduate Career Services plays a critical and important role within the team by providing general administrative support and program coordination as directed by the Manager of Graduate Career Services. Most of this role is related to the administrative support of programming, program events as well as other departmental activities. This would include, but not be limited to document and information management, database management, event management (corporate tours, speakers series, employer events etc.) as well as assistance with the appropriate financial documentation associated with these activities. This role also supports the facilitation of meaningful connection with students, staff and our community partners in alignment with our programs and initiatives.
What you'll do
- Provides administrative support for various programs and events including corporate tours, Sobey School of Business events, program workshops, employer events and speakers engagements.
- Develops and tracks event/workshop project plans
- Posts events to various communication channels internally and externally
- Assists in the preparation and assembly of documents
- Supports communication efforts to promote events
- Books flights, hotels, university space, orders catering and sets-up rooms if required
- Tracks participation
- Corresponds with participants, answer questions, facilitate special requests
- Additional event/workshop support as required
- Manages database for tracking student engagement relative to all Graduate Career Services activities
- Provides calendar and scheduling support. Updates Graduate Career Services Calendar as required
- Participates on strategic committees as required (i.e. Accounting and Finance Career Fair)
- Coordinates the distribution and compilation of survey data as required.
- Coordinates and maintains electronic and paper documents in SharePoint including spreadsheets; distributes as appropriate for various initiatives
- Manages employer database as well as posting of events through Career360.
- Prepares cheque requisitions, purchase requisitions, payment requests, budget transfer requests, and other financial documents as required and in a timely manner; ensures proper approvals are received and follows appropriate procedures
- Performs other related duties as assigned, including -
- Performs web-based research in support of quality initiatives and special projects
- Monitors web and performs basic updates and revisions as required by making changes as directed by and/or entering content provided by others
What you'll need
Key Core Competencies
- Excellent communicator (written, verbal and cross culturally)
- Ability to anticipate needs of stakeholders
- Organized and detail oriented
- Effective time manager. Ability or organize priorities despite a sometimes-frenetic environment
- Team Player
- Can exercise good judgement when working independently
- Tech savvy
- Growth mindset and can-do attitude
- Understands and values the impact of the work of Career Services for our students
- High school graduation plus completion of a one year commercial course
- Minimum one year directly related experience
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Knowledge of SharePoint, Orbis, Mailchimp, Qualtrics considered an asset
- Experience with databases and payment processing
- Effective customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to work independently to manage workload which includes accurately completing multi-step processes while responding to other requests/activities as they arise
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Visit our web site at www.smu.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
To be the Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
Competition Opens: December 3 2019 Competition Closes: December 13 2019
Saint Mary's University hires based on merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary's University promotes a Healthy Campus including a Scent-Free environment and a Smoke-Free Campus
Offensive Coordinator– Football (Contract until Dec 31, 2022)
Halifax, NS, CA
Library Assistant IV (NSGEU Local 79) (Permanent)
Halifax, NS, CA
Admissions Records Clerk (NSGEU Local 79) (9 Month Temporary Contract)
Halifax, NS, CA
General Worker, Lead Hand (Temporary, Full Time) (NSGEU Local 170) (3 positions)
Halifax, NS, CA
Institutional Researcher (APC)
Halifax, NS, CA