Position: Administrative Assistant
Department: School of Kinesiology
Position Type: SEIU Administrative Assistant 2, Full-time, approx. 6.5-month limited term contract
Date Posted: May 19, 2023
Application Deadline: June 4, 2023 at 11:59PM
Competition #: 23-27-AU
Salary: $36,928 per annum (SEIU Administrative Assistant 2). Salary increases to $41,158 following successful completion of 6-month probation period.
What you'll do
Acadia seeks an Administrative Assistant in the School of Kinesiology to fill an approx. 6.5-month limited term contract. The Administrative Assistant will provide reception and secretarial support for the faculty, staff, and students of the School of Kinesiology. The incumbent will be the initial contact for the school and will receive all visitors, calls and other contacts, providing informed responses to inquiries and referrals as appropriate. Inquiries are frequently regarding course registration/options and academic regulations. Specific responsibilities will include:
- greet clients and provide general assistance as receptionist for the school.
- track enrolment of students and regularly review student records.
- deliver, sort, and distribute departmental mail each day.
- preparation of routine correspondence, records management, and preparation of reports as required.
- organize and maintain departmental files.
- assemble materials for reports and meetings as required.
- assist with the production of logbooks, journals, manuals, and other documents.
- maintain office equipment to ensure good working order.
- schedule room calendars and assist in preparing timetable for all kinesiology courses.
- support recruitment of new students, monitoring registration, and supporting the School of Kinesiology with events.
What you'll need
- We are seeking a candidate who has completed a recognized post-secondary program in either office or business administration, combined with related work experience is required.
- Proven experience delivering a high level of client service and demonstrated ability to think clearly, resolve issues, and work under pressure.
- Demonstrated ability to work to a high level of accuracy, maintain confidentiality, and be flexible to regularly changing priorities is necessary.
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills are required, as is the ability to prioritize workload while providing top-notch customer service.
- Applicants must be highly proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications and familiarity with Acadia's academic programs and administrative procedures an asset.
For further information or to request a detailed job description, please contact Keilani Tupper at [email protected].
A little bit about us
Acadia University, located in Mi'kma'ki, the ancestral territory of the Mi'kmaq nation, is one of Canada's leading primarily undergraduate institutions. For over 180 years, Acadia has been providing students with a learning environment that ensures they have every opportunity to succeed in life. Our graduates emerge with the tools required to be global citizens and community leaders. Acadia's faculty and staff are key to our institutional success and share a commitment to provide our students with a high quality post-secondary education. As a staff member, you will be part of this transformational educational experience where innovation is encouraged, and your ideas are welcomed.
Acadia University is located only one hour from the city of Halifax in Nova Scotia's beautiful Annapolis Valley in the Town of Wolfville. Wolfville offers residents an affordable lifestyle, outstanding recreational opportunities, internationally acclaimed restaurants, a healthy economy, and the best weather in the Atlantic provinces. The Town of Wolfville is one of the fastest-growing communities in Nova Scotia where people find the perfect mix of small-town livability and urban energy. It's a place that people love to live, and those who do not live here love to visit.
To see more information on why Acadia is an employer of choice, please visit our website at www.hr.acadiau.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
TO APPLY: To apply for this opportunity, click on the "Apply Now" button and upload your cover letter, resume, and references.
Please be advised that only those invited for an interview will be contacted. The University reserves the right not to fill this position. A six-month eligibility list may be established from this competition to fill future vacancies for identical positions.
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Acadia University is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from Aboriginal people, African Nova Scotians, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, women, and persons of any minority sexual orientation or gender identity. Consistent with the principles of employment equity, the primary criterion for appointment to a position is qualifications and professional excellence. Candidates who identify as a member of one of the afore-mentioned groups, and who wish to have the application considered as such, are invited to submit the online Employment Equity Voluntary Self-Identification Form as part of their application package.
The university will provide support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant's accessibility needs. If you require accommodation because of a disability or for any other reason during the interview process, please contact [email protected]