Date Posted: January 17, 2023
Posting Deadline: January 31, 2023
Department: People & Culture
Type of Employment: Permanent, Full-time
Group Affiliation: APC Group, Group 3 ($44,875 - $57,835 annually)
At Saint Mary's University, you will be surrounded by a talented and dedicated team of professionals committed to accessibility, diversity, and the provision of a positive and supportive learning environment. We recognize the importance of the contribution and growth of each individual in the University's success. We are currently looking to fill the position of Administrative Assistant to join our People & Culture team.
What we offer
As a team member at Saint Mary's, we are proud to offer many benefits. Some of these include:
- Competitive compensation
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Defined Contribution Pension plan
- Personal days
- Flexible Workplace
- Professional development
- Holiday closure
- Summer hour schedule
Job Information and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Associate Vice President, People & Culture, the Administrative Assistant will:
- Provide high-quality, confidential administrative support to the Associate Vice President in their operational responsibilities as well as their role as a member of the Senior Management Group of the University.
- Provide operational and administrative assistance that requires thorough knowledge of university policies, procedures, and operations.
- Work closely with the Executive Assistant to the President, Administrative Assistant to the Vice President, Finance & Administration, and the Deans.
- Be a key ambassadorial role for the University when dealing with Faculty, staff, and the general public.
- Ensure the smooth functioning of the office and the Associate Vice President's schedule and projects by having the ability to work independently and remain well organized.
- Produce and maintain documents of a highly confidential and sensitive nature and coordinate activities with other administrative units of the University.
- Perform other duties as required.
Experience and Education Requirements
To be the successful Administrative Assistant you will possess a High School Diploma and a two (2) year community college diploma. Other qualifications required:
- Minimum of 5 years progressive experience at senior administrative levels in a fast-paced, complex, highly confidential office environment.
- University experience and/or extensive experience in an academic or public sector setting is considered a strong asset.
- Proven experience with organizing and prioritizing a demanding workload while meeting deadlines.
- Knowledge of business writing.
- Professional judgment and discretion.
- Excellent computer skills with a high level of proficiency in Microsoft suite of Office software and Outlook.
- Demonstrated communication skills (written and verbal) with the ability to translate information into clear and concise objectives that can be communicated to different audiences within all levels of an organization.
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written.
- Strong editorial skills.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently.
Apply for this opportunity online using our online application system through Career Beacon. Click on "Apply Now" and complete all required information fields. Qualified candidates should submit the following with their application:
- Cover Letter
- Three Professional References
Late applications may not receive consideration. We appreciate all applications and note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
At Saint Mary's University, equity and diversity are integral to excellence and enrich our community. As an institution committed to fostering an environment of inclusion and respect, we welcome applications from women, Indigenous peoples, racialized persons/visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity and others who might contribute to the growth and enrichment of our community. Applicants are encouraged to self-identify. If you require accommodations during the recruitment process, please contact Talent Acquisition at [email protected].
We're looking for
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's top primary undergraduate universities--known for its international collaborations, leadership in entrepreneurship, and research that benefits local and global communities. Our programs in Arts, Science, Graduate Studies and the Sobey School of Business are among Canada's best and feature professors who are committed to the success of their students. Saint Mary's provides our 7,000 students with a place that fosters possibility, excellent research opportunities, and distinguished graduate and professional programs combined with a caring community. Nestled in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, on Canada's east coast, Saint Mary's University is marked by iconic buildings, green spaces and fresh ocean air. The Saint Mary's University community is committed to a prosperous future for the world-a world without limits.