Closing Date: September 20, 2023 at 4:00 PM
As the largest department in the Faculty of Engineering, the Department of Mechanical Engineering is committed to providing an exceptional academic experience for undergraduate/graduate students and the continued expansion of its world class research portfolio. With over 300 students (graduate and undergraduate), Mechanical Engineering continues to be a preferred choice for students considering a career in engineering. Our research covers a wide range of areas from Biomedical, Advanced Manufacturing and Additive, Materials and Thermofluids to Aerospace, Controls, Robotics and Software development. The department is proud of its accomplishments and the continued commitment by its team to be a leader in New Brunswick and Canada at large in engineering education and research.
WHAT WE OFFER
Full-time | Continuing | Fredericton | Hybrid
UNB is committed to ensuring employees can maintain a healthy work-life balance. As such, we are proud to support a hybrid work approach, which includes flexible hours and work-from-home options.
Standard Work Hours: Mon - Fri | 8:15 am - 4:30 pm | 36.25 hours per week
Salary Range: $21.91 - $25.44 per hour
Reporting to the Department Chair, the Secretary PL5 (Accounts Secretary/Graduate Student Coordinator) is critical to helping the Mechanical Engineering Department provide support and service to faculty, staff, and students. This position works closely with the Department Chair to monitor operating and overheard budgets, and help the department maintain its financial obligations and fiscal well-being.
- Track expenses and revenues on the department accounts.
- Prepare account information for faculty and the department including opening and amending accounts.
- Prepare and process Staff Change Forms.
- Work with faculty to prepare post-doctoral fellow and research assistant financial offers.
- Manage requests for payment forms, travel expense claims, and ensure all proper documentation is provided.
- Provide feedback to departments regarding allowable expenses.
- Prepare journal entries as required.
- Maintain student financial and academic documentation.
- Provide payroll direction and instruction to graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, and research assistants.
- Assist with student financial services. Provide students with information on program timelines and requirements.
- Communicate and manage scholarship information for faculty and students/researchers.
- Raise purchase orders and help manage department assets.
- Maintain department cash flow and financial statements using spreadsheets, accounting forms, and systems.
- Facilitate financial communication between the Chair and all department members and activities.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Post- Secondary Diploma in a related field.
- 3 - 5 years of accounting experience and/or account management.
- Fluent in Microsoft Office (particularly Excel).
- Formal training or certification with Excel would be an asset.
A little bit about us
University of New Brunswick
The University of New Brunswick employs more than 3,200 full- and part-time staff, including faculty, support staff and students. UNB values people and we have proudly been named as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers for 2023 and one of Atlantic Canada's Top Employers for 2023.
UNB is situated on the unceded territory of the Wolastoqiyik and Mi'kmaq peoples along the banks of the beautiful and bountiful Wolastoq river, a region recognized worldwide for its natural beauty. UNB is a comprehensive university with a long history of excellence in teaching and research.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
WHY CHOOSE UNB?
UNB offers a large variety of benefits for employees, including a full pension, a minimum of three weeks of vacation annually, the Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP), and dental, life, and health insurance.
SECRETARIES, ACCOUNTANTS, LIBRARY ASSISTANTS AND CLERKS (SALAC)
This position is part of the UNIFOR, Local 4504 employee group and falls under the SALAC Collective Agreement.
COMMITMENT TO EQUITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
The University of New Brunswick is committed to employment equity and fostering diversity within our community and developing an inclusive workplace that reflects the richness of the broader community that we serve. The University welcomes and encourages applications from all qualified individuals who will help us achieve our goals, including women, visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
We thank all who apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.