Position: Accountant Analyst (APC)
Department: Financial Services
Annual Salary: $47,807 - $61,609 (Group 4)
The Financial Reporting and Analysis (FRA) unit of Financial Services consists of a team of Accountant Analysts under the direction of the Manager FRA and the FRA Coordinator. The team is responsible for activities that support the University's operating units, including all administrative departments, academic faculties and departments, and ancillary operations. These activities include banking, cash management, financing, accounting, analysis, budgeting, forecasting and financial reporting. The team is also responsible for activities that relate to the administration, accounting and analysis related to restricted funds, including research grants, special projects, conferences, capital assets and projects, major construction projects, trusts, reserves, endowments, and restricted investments.
What you'll do
The Accountant Analysts are responsible for providing front-line customer services and support to a wide variety of University departments and employees. They are responsible for handling and analyzing sensitive and confidential information on a regular basis. The FRA unit works closely with Budget Services and other Financial Services employees. As part of the "team management approach" the Manager Budget Services has partial responsibility for directing and training the team respecting duties that support budget preparation, budget monitoring and forecasting functions.
Each Accountant Analyst is assigned a portfolio of responsibilities that includes a combination of the following activities:
- Customer Service
- Accounting and analysis
- Analytical and accounting support for operating departments
- Capital project administration and accounting
- Bank reconciliation
- Budget suppor
- Financial reporting
- Cash management
- Commodity taxes
- Research & special projects accounting and administration
- Trusts, reserves and endowments administration
Duties as the Accountant Analyst include, but are not limited to:
- Preparing journal entries to record, correct and redistribute financial transactions including sales and miscellaneous revenue, deferred revenue, interfund transfers, prepaid expenses, accrued receivables and liabilities, investments, debt, leases, and other transactions. Preparation of entries often requires creation and maintenance of complex analyses and financial models to calculate amounts.
- Revenue Generating Operations - ensuring accurate and complete recording of transactions, providing support regarding data collection, reporting, cash controls, and accounting to managers and staff in revenue operations.
- Reviewing month end department, research grant, and/or special project transaction reports for accuracy and completeness; following-up and resolving any identified errors or budget problems.
- Responding to queries, advising, and resolving problems concerning a variety of issues as they pertain to transactions processed and to be processed in the financial systems including: investigating variances, interpreting postings, assessing impact of transactions on software used by other departments.
- Composing and distributing written correspondence to internal departments and external organizations in relation to accounting activity and processes.
- Reviewing funding agency contracts, policies and regulations and ensuring these are met and reported on in a timely and accurate manner.
- Preparing financial reports and funding claims for submission to funding agencies for research/special project grants.
- Preparing monthly bank reconciliations for review including reconciling sales activity to bank deposits, reconciling disbursements to bank withdrawals, and maintaining documentation and files for bank transactions, correspondence, and bank reconciliations.
- Assisting the Manager, Budget Services in developing, preparing and tracking the annual operating and capital budgets which includes creating and maintaining various financial models and analyses, reviewing and compiling departmental budget submissions, preparing and compiling forecast estimates, analyzing budget variances, and evaluating financial trends that may impact future budgets.
- Preparing routine and ad-hoc reports for internal and external parties using Excel, Word, Crystal Reports, and/or other reporting tools extracting data from a variety of financial systems including Banner.
- Assisting and training customers including operating departments and researchers to interpret financial statements.
- Answering queries, making recommendations, providing orientation, and advising departmental management, staff and other University employees regarding University policies and procedures, and other financial matters.
- Providing training and orientation to University employees on using a variety of financial systems and financial reporting services.
What you'll need
To be the successful Accountant Analyst you will possess an Undergraduate degree, Bachelor of Commerce or Business Administration and a minimum of two (2) years directly related experience. Advanced education in accounting and financial analysis will be considered an asset. You demonstrate thorough knowledge of financial, fund and managerial accounting, financial systems, internal controls, financial analysis and reporting and demonstrate an understanding of current accounting policies and practices. You possess above average interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with strong attention to detail combined with strong organizational skills. Proficiency in Microsoft Office software is required.
We're looking for
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Visit our web site at www.smu.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
Competition Opens: February 11, 2019 Competition Closes: February 22, 2019
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary's Univeristy promoties a Healthy Campus including a Scent-Free environment and a Smoke-Free Campus
Residence Coordinator (Part-Time Contract)
Halifax, NS, CA
Registration Clerk (Maternity Leave Replacement) (NSGEU Local 79)
Halifax, NS, CA
Halifax, NS, CA
Secretary (Temporary, Full Time - 9 Month Contract)
Halifax, NS, CA
One (1) Limited Term Appointment, FISMS, Management Science
Halifax, NS, CA