Shelburne, Nova Scotia
Department of Facilities and Engineering
Continuing Full Time Position: Commencing approximately December 11, 2023
Application deadline is 11:59PM, November 28, 2023
Competition No. 2324-74
Salary range: $50,077.51 to $53,484.72 annually
What you'll do
What you will be doing…
- Facilities and Engineering Management is accountable to provide effective and timely maintenance and custodial service that promote commitment to the care and preservation of Campus facilities, a safe work environment, effective risk management in order to create and maintain a welcoming environment reflecting standards of excellence in support of NSCC programs.
- NSCC is committed to taking a leadership role as the College continues its journey towards environmental sustainability for the benefit of all Nova Scotians. As stewards of the environment, the incumbent is responsible to demonstrate a strong commitment to maintaining an environmentally sustainable workplace in all aspects of their position (such as waste management programs, energy efficiency programs and conservation).
- Under the direction of the facilities manager, with an emphasis on energy and sustainability, the Electrician will:
- Be responsible for ensuring that the building electrical and cabling system operates in a safe and efficient manner, in accordance with legislated standards.
- Initiate and perform all inspections, repairs and additional upgrades to the electrical systems, in the campus to ensure operational and functional proficiency, subject to safety and CEC requirements.
- Will supervise individuals to work safely and competently.
- Conduct emergency repairs, preventative maintenance and scheduled repairs on base building systems and subsystems, including a wide range of HVAC, electrical and mechanical equipment and its software where applicable.
- Will instruct and train staff on system maintenance and operating procedures.
- Will keep abreast of changes and new developments in both products and technology and attend training programs as required.
- Warehouse duties and inventory control
- Assist facilities staff with classroom/event setups
- Coordinate work with contractors and help oversee construction projects.
- Ability to work at multiple sites. Some travel required.
- Other duties as required
What you'll need
Qualifications and Occupational Experience:
- The minimum educational qualification for this position is Inter-Provincial Journeyperson Electrical Construction Certification. Training in WHMIS and Occupational Health and Safety regulations would be considered an asset, as would Standard First Aid and CPR. Telecommunications Structured Cabling Certification would also be considered an asset.
- You have a minimum of two years of recent and related trade experience in a facility, commercial or industrial setting combined with a minimum of two years supervisory experience. With specific experience in HVAC, building maintenance, building controls, fire systems & warehouse-inventory control.
- Occupational experience that includes facility management would be considered an asset.
- You are familiar with and comfortable using computer applications such as the Microsoft Office Suite, E-mail, Megamation and building automation
Relevant Skills and Knowledge
- You demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion
- You possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills and can interact effectively with a diversity of people
- You are known for your superior customer service skills and can create a relationship of trust beyond the immediate interaction
- Your superb team working skills enable you to contribute positively to a team environment
- You are familiar working within and committed to complying with OHS policies and procedures
- You have a proven ability to follow oral and written instructions
- You possess excellent coordination skills specifically related to prioritizing daily work, scheduling contractor work & coordinating work around building/class schedules)
- You demonstrate a strong commitment to excellence such as providing essential services to building staff and students in a professional manner.
- You are able to perform all physical duties of the job as required for the operation and maintenance of the facilities and operation of small hand tools and shop equipment
- Possession of a valid NS Driver's License is a bona fide relevant occupational requirement for this position.
- Forklift training would be considered an asset
A little bit about us
Nova Scotia Community College
We value Diversity and Inclusion
The College values diversity and inclusion and is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates including Aboriginal/Indigenous Persons, Black/African Nova Scotians, members of racially visible communities, persons with disabilities, persons of a minority sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, and women. Applicants from these communities wishing to self-identify may do so by completing the online questionnaire within the application.
All NSCC positions are advertised every Tuesday and Thursday. To learn more about us and our hiring process, please follow this link.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Candidates selected for interviews will be expected to provide at least three recent, occupational references. The successful candidate will be expected to provide official transcripts to show proof of academic achievements.
NSCC is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. As part of this commitment, NSCC will ensure that applicants are provided reasonable accommodations, as required. If accommodation is needed to participate in the job application process, please contact David Meister, HR Generalist at [email protected]. Our Employee Workplace Accommodation Policy can be found here.