Faculty - Practical Nursing
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
School of Health & Human Services
Term Full-time Position: Commencing approximately December 18, 2023 and ending approximately October 30, 2024
Application deadline is 11:59PM, November 28, 2023
Competition No. 2324-73
The salary scale for NSCC Faculty is based on twelve steps that range from $65,749.90 - $97,299.75. New Faculty may receive up to a maximum of five steps for relevant occupational experience and may receive up to an additional four steps for full-time equivalent years of instructional experience (instructional experience is defined as teaching post-secondary). The maximum a new Faculty can expect to receive is nine steps or $89,097.97.
What you'll do
As a member of the School of Health & Human Services faculty team, you will:
- Provide theoretical and practical instruction in the Practical Nursing program including clinical supervision.
- Collaboratively design and deliver educational experiences for a diverse group of learners. This will include preparation, instruction, assessment, and evaluation of students using a broad range of flexible teaching and learning practices and technologies such as Learning Management Systems (e.g., Brightspace) and classroom technology.
- Ensure health and safety practices and procedures are followed in your classroom, shops, and labs.
- Maintain currency with the latest industry practices relevant to your program and to continually develop your understanding of 21st century teaching and learning practices. This position may involve different delivery modalities (e.g., in-class, online, blended online/in-class), off-site instruction and alternate work hours such as weekends and evenings.
- Related duties include but are not limited to academic and career advisement, participating on committees, program marketing, curriculum revision/development through collaborative practice within faculty working groups, supporting, and monitoring work placements, liaising with business and industry, representing the College as required and upholding NSCC policies and procedures.
What you'll need
Qualifications and Occupational Experience:
The minimum educational qualification for this position is a graduate of an Accredited Nursing Program-Diploma, Bachelor of Nursing or Bachelor of Science in Nursing. Currently registered or are eligible for registration as an LPN, RN or NP, with the Nova Scotia College of Nursing (NSCN) and are in good standing.
You have a minimum of five years (full-time equivalent) of recent and related occupational experience in the nursing field in a clinical setting.
- You have demonstrated experience liaising with business and industry in your field.
- You are familiar with and comfortable using computer applications such as the Microsoft Office Suite and email.
- You are comfortable working in a digital environment; you take responsibility for acquiring knowledge about advancing technology; and you are committed to using technology in support of an exceptional student experience, including multi-media technologies and a variety of platforms that will engage students in online and blended learning.
- Ideally, you have related experience in delivery of educational programs or training to adults.
- Occupational experience that includes experience in providing performance feedback will be considered an asset.
- You have knowledge and experience in applying WHMIS, Occupational Health and Safety and occupation-specific safety practices.
- You are comfortable using multi-media technologies and a variety of platforms that will serve to engage students in online and blended learning capacities. The ability to teach effectively in an online/blended environment which includes building knowledge of best practices for the delivery and management of courses delivered whole or in part online, using a course management system to communicate with students and to foster and support a collaborative online learning community with and between students will be an important factor in your success. Candidates who do not have previous online/blended teaching experience must be open to and willing to participate in training for this delivery model.
Relevant Skills and Knowledge:
- You demonstrate a commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, accessibility, and anti-racism
- You possess excellent presentation skills and can facilitate content effectively and engagingly to a variety of audiences
- You are known for your superior interpersonal skills and can manage interpersonal relationships and issues effectively
- Your superb team building skills will enable you to develop a positive classroom dynamic and productive collegial relationships
- Your commitment to excellence, to life-long learning and to community involvement make you an ideal candidate for Faculty at NSCC
A little bit about us
Nova Scotia Community College
We value Diversity and Inclusion
The College values diversity and inclusion and is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates including Aboriginal/Indigenous Persons, Black/African Nova Scotians, members of racially visible communities, persons with disabilities, persons of a minority sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, and women. Applicants from these communities wishing to self-identify may do so by completing the online questionnaire within the application.
All NSCC positions are advertised every Tuesday and Thursday. To learn more about us and our hiring process, please follow this link.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
As a condition of employment, successful applicants are required to provide a record of their updated immunizations along with a Criminal Record Check including a Vulnerable Sector Search (CRC/VSS), to Human Resources before starting employment. Any cost incurred in obtaining these will be at the applicant's expense. Candidates will not be discriminated against on the basis of their background check. Our practice is to assess the criminal offence against the requirements of the position; not eliminate a candidate from consideration based on any criminal offence.
As a condition of employment, Faculty at NSCC must complete a two-year (part-time) adult education program delivered by NSCC. This adult education program is a significant investment on the part of NSCC in the learning and development of new employees. To achieve regular status; all probationary, full or part-time Faculty of the College must successfully complete the program within their probationary period. Term full-time Faculty whose term appointment is twelve or more months are also required to participate in this program.
Candidates selected for interviews will be expected to provide at least three recent, occupational references. The successful candidate will be expected to provide official transcripts to show proof of academic achievements.
NSCC is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. As part of this commitment, NSCC will ensure that applicants are provided reasonable accommodations, as required. If accommodation is needed to participate in the job application process, please contact Jaclynn Kelly, HR Generalist at [email protected]. Our Employee Workplace Accommodation Policy can be found here.