Stellarton, Nova Scotia
School of Technology and Environment
Continuing Full Time Position: Commencing approximately January 8, 2024
Application deadline is 11:59PM, November 23, 2023
Competition No. 2324-63
The salary scale for NSCC Faculty is based on twelve steps that range from $65,749.90 - $97,299.75. New NSCC Faculty may receive up to a maximum of five steps for relevant occupational experience. New NSCC Faculty may receive up to an additional four steps for full-time equivalent years of instructional experience (instructional experience is defined as teaching post-secondary). The maximum a new NSCC Faculty can expect to receive is nine steps or $89,097.97
What you'll do
What you will be doing…
- As a member of the School of IT and Environment faculty team, you will provide theoretical and practical instruction in the Business Intelligence and Analytics. You will also develop detailed course content and evaluate learner performance. The current planned assignment may involve courses including, but not limited to, Intro to Business Intelligence,
- Database Design II, Data Reporting, Data Provisioning with ETL, Intro to Statistical Learning, and Applied Data Science. This course will be delivered in a blended format, meaning at least 50% of the program will be delivered online using a variety of platforms, while the rest will be delivered onsite at the campus.
- You will collaboratively design and deliver educational experiences for a diverse group of learners. This will include preparation, instruction, assessment, and evaluation of students using a broad range of flexible teaching and learning practices and technologies such as Learning Management Systems (e.g. Brightspace) and classroom technology.
- Related duties include but are not limited to academic and career advisement, participating on committees, program marketing, curriculum revision/development through collaborative practice within faculty working groups, supporting and monitoring work placements, liaising with business and industry, representing the College as required and upholding NSCC policies and procedures. You will also ensure health and safety practices and procedures are followed in your classroom, shops and labs. As a Faculty of NSCC, you will be expected to maintain currency with the latest industry practices relevant to your program and to continually develop your understanding of 21st century teaching and learning practices.
- This position may involve different delivery modalities (e.g. in-class, online, blended online/in-class), off-site instruction and alternate work hours such as weekends and evenings.
What you'll need
Qualifications and Occupational Experience:
- The minimum educational qualification for this position You possess a relevant IT College Diploma or university degree such as Bachelor of Computing.
- You have a minimum of five years of recent and related occupational experience in Business Intelligence/Analytics, specifically in one or all of the following areas:
- Server side of the Big Data landscape.
- Applied knowledge in the planning, design and infrastructure requirements for Data Warehousing and the ERPs that depend on them for provision of information to support management decision making.
- The candidate should be fluent with the process of matching organizational needs/priorities to implementation of appropriate database backup and recovery strategies, including Disaster Recovery Planning.
- Methodologies and current and emerging platforms for the process of ETL (Extract, Cleanse, Transform, Load) for the purpose of Data Migration.
- Occupational experience that includes experience in a supervisory capacity; evaluating, monitoring, assessing and advising will be considered an asset.
- You have specific technical occupational knowledge and skill in various forms of Data Reporting from dashboards to the latest methods for provision of interactive mobile-based visualizations of processed information.
- You are familiar with and comfortable using computer applications such as the Microsoft Office Suite, E-mail, and ERP's.
- You possess basic internet skills to search for information coupled with internet information skills to evaluate the information you find. Above all, you are comfortable working in a digital environment; you take responsibility for acquiring knowledge about advancing technology; and you are committed to using technology in support of an exceptional student experience
- You have demonstrated experience liaising with business and industry in your field
- Ideally, you have related experience in delivery of educational programs or training to adults
- You have knowledge and experience in applying WHMIS, Occupational Health and Safety and occupation-specific safety practices
Relevant Skills and Knowledge
- You demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion
- You possess excellent presentation skills and are able to facilitate content effectively and engagingly to a variety of audiences
- You are known for your superior interpersonal skills and are able to effectively manage interpersonal relationships and issues
- Your superb team building skills will enable you to develop a positive classroom dynamic and productive collegial relationships
- Your commitment to excellence, to life-long learning and to community involvement make you an ideal candidate for Faculty at NSCC
A little bit about us
Nova Scotia Community College
We value Diversity and Inclusion
The College values diversity and inclusion and is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates including Aboriginal/Indigenous Persons, Black/African Nova Scotians, members of racially visible communities, persons with disabilities, persons of a minority sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, and women. Applicants from these communities wishing to self-identify may do so by completing the online questionnaire within the application.
All NSCC positions are advertised every Tuesday and Thursday. To learn more about us and our hiring process, please follow this link.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
As a condition of employment, Faculty at NSCC must complete a two-year (part-time) adult education program delivered by NSCC. This adult education program is a significant investment on the part of NSCC in the learning and development of new employees. To achieve regular status; all probationary, full or part-time Faculty of the College must successfully complete the program within their probationary period. Term full-time Faculty whose term appointment is twelve or more months are also required to participate in this program.
Candidates selected for interviews will be expected to provide at least three recent, occupational references. The successful candidate will be expected to provide official transcripts to show proof of academic achievements.
NSCC is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. As part of this commitment, NSCC will ensure that applicants are provided reasonable accommodations, as required. If accommodation is needed to participate in the job application process, please contact David Meister, HR Generalist at [email protected]. Our Employee Workplace Accommodation Policy can be found here.