The Director, Internal Audit oversees the internal audit function across the corporation, manages the outsourcing engagement with the NSLC's internal audit service provider, develops annual audit plans based on risk assessments, and uses a systemic, disciplined approach to evaluating and improving the effectiveness of the corporation's risk management, control, and governance processes. The Director also participates in special investigations, collects, and analyzes relevant data, and provides consultation to management to ensure areas of concern are addressed and recommendations for improvements are made as required.
What you'll do
- Prepare the annual internal audit plan based on risk assessments, required compliance and controls, as well as business objectives. Present the internal audit plan to the Audit Committee for approval.
- Lead or execute internal audit engagements including the preparation of audit reports, leveraging internal resources or outside service providers as required
- Provide leadership, coaching, mentoring and development to the NSLC audit team and manage the activities of outside audit service providers
- Present periodic reports to the Audit Committee summarizing the status and results of audit activities, as well as management progress in addressing audit findings
- Develop and manage continuous/real-time audit processes
- Lead or support special investigations or special assignments as required
- Maintain collaborative working relationships with management, employees, manufacturers, and other stakeholders to support the audit function
- Keep abreast of trends and developments in audit practices and techniques and related fields as well as policies, procedures and legislation affecting NSLC operations
- Liaise with the External Auditor or the Office of the Auditor General as required
- Establish a quality assurance program over Internal Audit activities, ensure work is carried out efficiently, with due professional care, and in accordance with established audit standards
- Demonstrate commitment to NSLC's Values
- Demonstrate commitment to the NSLC's social responsibility mandate
- Demonstrate commitment to workplace health and safety
- Perform other related duties as assigned, including occasional travel
What you'll need
As a qualified candidate, you will have:
- Undergraduate degree in Business Administration or Commerce
- A professional accounting designation (CPA)
- Minimum five years' experience in internal audit, with at least two years' experience in a management role
- Experience in internal control analysis and design, corporate governance, and risk management
As an ideal candidate you will also have:
- Experience working in a retail environment
- Professional designation such as CIA, CISA or CMC
An alternate combination of education and experience may be considered equivalent
A little bit about us
Nova Scotia Liquor Corporation (NSLC)
Be Part of Something Good - Our people are the heart of what we do, why we do it, and are the key to our ongoing success
Since 1930, we have come together for the good of this beautiful province we call home. The NSLC manages the safe and responsible sale of beverage alcohol and cannabis in Nova Scotia. We contribute to the good of our province with responsible sales, the impact we have on the communities we serve and by the financial contribution we make that helps create a stronger Nova Scotia. We are committed to improving the well-being of our customers, employees and communities across the province. For more information about the NSLC, please visit our website.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
If you are interested in being considered for this role please apply online no later than 11:59pm on December 6, 2022.