Strait Area Campus
Port Hawkesbury, Nova Scotia
Term Full-time Position: Commencing approximately June 19, 2023 and ending approximately May 30, 2026
Application deadline is 11:59pm, June 1, 2023
Competition No. 2023-174
The salary scale for Professional Support 2 is based on twelve steps that range from $58,347.64 to $81,570.93. New Professional Support may receive up to a maximum of seven steps for relevant occupational experience which is $70,047.62 annually.
This is a designated competition open to Mi'kmaq and other Indigenous/Aboriginal peoples and/or Women.
What you'll do
Reporting to the Strait Area Campus Principal and working with the management and administrative teams at the Strait Area Campus, you will:
Play a leadership role for the A'Paqt Project and will also support logistics and outreach for the A'paqt Project in various locations across Nova Scotia.
Provide community outreach and stay in close contact with women's groups, Mi'kmaq communities, the Commercial Marine industry, professional marine groups and government agencies.
Define the needs of students and promote partnerships.
Coordinate program delivery, track student success and provide effective management of physical resources at various sites as part of your academic and administrative responsibilities.
What you'll need
Qualifications and Occupational Experience:
- The minimum educational qualification for this position is a relevant Degree or Community College Diploma in areas such as Social Services, Community Development and Business Administration.
- You have a minimum of three (3) years (full-time equivalent) of recent and related occupational experience in project coordination and management, community development, communications and facilitation.
- Occupational experience in the Marine sector would be considered an asset.
- You are familiar with and comfortable using computer applications such as the Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook and Email. Experience using PeopleSoft would be considered an asset.
- Experience working within a Mi'kmaq community would be considered an asset.
- Experience in proposal writing or report writing will be considered an asset.
Relevant Skills and Knowledge:
- You demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- You are comfortable working in a digital environment; you take responsibility for acquiring knowledge about advancing technology; and you are committed to using technology to create an exceptional student experience.
- You possess excellent interpersonal skills that enable you to interact with a diversity of people and support resolution of issues.
- You are known for your superior customer service skills and are able to create a relationship of trust beyond the immediate interaction.
- Your superb team working skills enable you to contribute positively to a team environment.
- You are known for your problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- You are a strong communicator.
- Specific expertise in the areas of facilitation, coaching and student success, job search techniques and related career placement experience is an asset.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and provide regular reports as required.
- Ability to coordinate the delivery of training workshops and other skill development workshops.
- Ability to effectively coach and communicate in supporting participants in areas such as Personal Development; Career Planning; Job Preparation; Communication Skills and Computer Applications.
- Ability to quickly establish effective and credible relationships, both internally and externally.
- You have the vision and determination to effectively contribute to the strategic direction of the College and the energy, drive and passion about NSCC's critical role in the Province's economic and community development.
A little bit about us
Nova Scotia Community College
All NSCC positions are advertised every Tuesday and Thursday. To learn more about us and our hiring process, please follow this link.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
As a condition of employment, Professional Support employees at NSCC must complete a two-year (part-time) adult education program delivered by NSCC. This adult education program is a significant investment on the part of NSCC in the learning and development of new employees. To achieve regular status; all probationary, full or part-time Professional Support employees of the College must successfully complete the program within their probationary period. Term full-time Professional Support employees whose term appointment is twelve or more months are also required to participate in this program.
Candidates selected for interviews will be expected to provide at least three recent, occupational references. The successful candidate will be expected to provide official transcripts to show proof of academic achievements.
NSCC is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. As part of this commitment, NSCC will ensure that applicants are provided reasonable accommodations, as required. If accommodation is needed to participate in the job application process, please contact Jaclynn Kelly, HR Generalist, at [email protected] Our Employee Workplace Accommodation Policy can be found here.