Employment Specialist - A'paqt (TS13) - Designated
Strait Area Campus
Port Hawkesbury, Nova Scotia
School of Trades and Transportation
Term Full-Time Position: Commencing approximately June 19, 2023 and ending approximately March 31, 2026
Application deadline is 11:59pm, June 6, 2023
Competition No. 2023-168
Salary range: $52,458.56 to $61,460.62 annually
This is a designated competition open to Mi'kmaq and other Indigenous/Aboriginal peoples and/or Women
What you'll do
You will be responsible to the College and Campus for supporting Indigenous and female students enrolled in various Marine programs under the A'paqt Project. As a member of the A'paqt Project team you will report to the Academic Chair of the Nautical Institute and will work closely with the Project Lead. You will provide Employment support to students looking for work placements or job placements in the Marine Industry.
What you'll need
Qualifications and Occupational Experience:
- The minimum educational qualification for this position is a post-secondary diploma in human services, social services or related discipline.
- You have a minimum of three years of recent and related occupational experience working with Indigenous students/people.
- Occupational experience that includes working in the Marine Industry and knowledge of Transport Canada Marine Personal Regulations would be considered an asset.
- You have appreciation and knowledge of the Mi'kmaq culture.
- You are familiar with and comfortable using computer applications such as the Microsoft Office Suite, email and Peoplesoft.
- You are comfortable working in a digital environment; you take responsibility for acquiring knowledge about advancing technology; and you are committed to using technology in advancing your work.
Relevant Skills and Knowledge:
- You demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion
- You possess excellent interpersonal skills that enable you to interact at all levels of an organization
- You are known for your superior customer service skills and are able to create a relationship of trust beyond the immediate interaction
- Your superb team working skills enable you to contribute positively to a team environment
- You are known for your problem solving and critical thinking skills
- You are a strong communicator and possess the ability to demonstrate qualities of confidentiality, diplomacy, and discretion
- You possess the ability to work independently and interpret guidelines to assist with problem solving
- You possess excellent coordination skills specifically related to coordinating placements, work, events, logistics, etc...
- You demonstrate a strong commitment to excellence in student success
A little bit about us
Nova Scotia Community College
All NSCC positions are advertised every Tuesday and Thursday. To learn more about us and our hiring process, please follow this link.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Candidates selected for interviews will be expected to provide at least three recent, occupational references. The successful candidate will be expected to provide official transcripts to show proof of academic achievements.
NSCC is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. As part of this commitment, NSCC will ensure that applicants are provided reasonable accommodations, as required. If accommodation is needed to participate in the job application process, please contact Jaclynn Kelly, HR Generalist at [email protected] Our Employee Workplace Accommodation Policy can be found here.