Faculty - Marine Navigation Technology
Strait Area Campus
Port Hawkesbury, Nova Scotia
School of Trades and Transportation
Two (2) Continuing Full-time Positions: Commencing approximately July 3, 2023
Application deadline is 11:59PM, June 9, 2023
Competition No. 2023-111
The salary scale for NSCC Faculty is based on twelve steps that range from $65,422.78 - $96,815.67. New NSCC Faculty may receive up to a maximum of five steps for relevant occupational experience. New NSCC Faculty may receive up to an additional four steps for full-time equivalent years of instructional experience (instructional experience is defined as teaching post-secondary). The maximum a new NSCC Faculty can expect to receive is nine steps or 88,654.70.
What you'll do
As a member of the School of Trades and Transportation faculty team, you will provide theoretical and practical instruction in the Marine Navigation program. You will collaboratively design and deliver educational experiences for a diverse group of learners. This will include preparation, instruction, assessment, and evaluation of students using a broad range of flexible teaching and learning practices and technologies such as Learning Management Systems (e.g. Brightspace) and classroom technology. Related duties include but are not limited to academic and career advisement, participating on committees, program marketing, curriculum revision/development through collaborative practice within faculty working groups, supporting and monitoring work placements, liaising with business and industry, representing the College as required and upholding NSCC policies and procedures. You will also ensure health and safety practices and procedures are followed in your classroom, shops and labs. As a Faculty of NSCC, you will be expected to maintain currency with the latest industry practices relevant to your program and to continually develop your understanding of 21st century teaching and learning practices. This position may involve different delivery modalities (e.g. in-class, online, blended online/in-class), off-site instruction and alternate work hours such as weekends and evenings).
What you'll need
You are a collaborative, team player who takes personal accountability to deliver on what is expected in your role and you strive for excellence every day. You understand your position as a role model to each of your students and as such, you demonstrate the utmost professionalism, integrity and respect for all persons in everything you do. You are committed to life-long learning, occupational currency and a belief in NSCC's mission. You bring a learning-centred perspective to everything you do. You think broadly, celebrate diversity of thought, and respect the uniqueness of individuals. You flourish in a dynamic, changing and sometimes ambiguous environment by keeping informed and connected within your role and the College. Is this you?
Qualifications and Occupational Experience:
The minimum educational qualification for this position is a Bachelor of Maritime Studies and/or Diploma in Nautical Science-Navigation and/or an STCW Certificate of Competency as a Master Mariner.
You have a minimum of five years (full-time equivalent) of recent and related occupational experience working on board ships/oil platform as a Ships Officer or ashore supporting ships operation. NOTE: Two years of your training will be counted towards the educational requirements and cannot be included as part of your occupational experience.
Occupational experience that includes experience in a supervisory capacity; evaluating, monitoring, assessing and advising will be considered an asset.
Experience on Oil/Chemical/Gas Tankers will be considered an asset.
You are familiar with and comfortable using computer applications such as the Microsoft Office Suite and email.
- You possess basic internet skills to search for information coupled with internet information skills to evaluate the information you find. Above all, you are comfortable working in a digital environment; you take responsibility for acquiring knowledge about advancing technology; and you are committed to using technology in support of an exceptional student experience.
- You have demonstrated experience liaising with business and industry in your field.
- Ideally, you have related experience in delivery of educational programs or training to adults
- You have knowledge and experience in applying WHMIS, Occupational Health and Safety and occupation-specific safety practices.
- You are comfortable using multi-media technologies and a variety of platforms that will serve to engage students in online and blended learning capacities. The ability to teach effectively in an online/blended environment which includes building knowledge of best practices for the delivery and management of courses delivered whole or in part online, using a course management system to communicate with students and to foster and support a collaborative online learning community with and between students will be an important factor in your success. Candidates who do not have previous online/blended teaching experience must be open to and willing to participate in training for this delivery model.
Relevant Skills and Knowledge:
- You demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion
- You possess excellent presentation skills and can facilitate content effectively and engagingly to a variety of audiences
- You are known for your superior interpersonal skills and can manage interpersonal relationships and issues effectively
- Your superb team building skills will enable you to develop a positive classroom dynamic and productive collegial relationships
- Your commitment to excellence, to life-long learning and to community involvement make you an ideal candidate for Faculty at NSCC
Look for yourself
A little bit about us
Nova Scotia Community College
All NSCC positions are advertised every Tuesday and Thursday. To learn more about us and our hiring process, please follow this link.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
You will change lives. You will join committed individuals as we work to build Nova Scotia's economy and improve quality of life through education and innovation. As an NSCC employee, you will be part of that change.
You will find a place to grow personally and professionally with opportunities for professional development and collaborative projects.
You will do meaningful and challenging work in a publicly accountable and respectful working and learning environment that is diverse, safe and inclusive. You will have the freedom to enable innovation, improvement and excellence.
You will celebrate the uniqueness of individuals. NSCC campuses are located on the traditional territory of the Mi'kmaq People. Nova Scotia Community College values diversity and inclusion and is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates including Aboriginal/Indigenous Persons, members of racially visible communities, persons with disabilities, persons of a minority sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, and women. Applicants from these communities wishing to self-identify may do so by completing an online questionnaire with your application.
As a condition of employment, Faculty at NSCC must complete a two-year (part-time) adult education program delivered by NSCC. This adult education program is a significant investment on the part of NSCC in the learning and development of new employees. To achieve regular status; all probationary, full or part-time Faculty of the College must successfully complete the program within their probationary period. Term full-time Faculty whose term appointment is twelve or more months are also required to participate in this program.
NSCC offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package. As a learning-centred organization, we provide opportunities for every NSCC employee to be a life-long learner. Candidates selected for interviews will be expected to provide at least three recent, occupational references. The successful candidate will be expected to provide official transcripts to show proof of academic achievements.
NSCC is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. As part of this commitment, NSCC will ensure that applicants are provided reasonable accommodations, as required. If accommodation is needed to participate in the job application process, please contact Jaclynn Kelly, HR Generalist at [email protected] Our Employee Workplace Accommodation Policy can be found here.