Coordinator, Campus Housing (CS10)
Strait Area Campus
Port Hawkesbury, Nova Scotia
Department of Student Services
Term Full-time Position: Commencing approximately February 13, 2023 and ending approximately June 28, 2024
Application deadline is 11:59PM, January 10, 2023
Competition No. 2022-499
Salary range: $54,746.40 to $66,788.20 annually
What you'll do
Reporting to the Manager, Student Services, as Coordinator, Campus Housing, you will be responsible for coordinating and/or collaborating with other departments to support all campus housing and guest programs/services associated with the campus' multi-use student housing facility. With guidance from and in support of the mission and values of NSCC, you will help establish and deliver a safe, inclusive and thriving living/learning environment that promotes the well-being and success - both personally and academically - of all students within our campus housing community.
Responsible for campus implementation of NSCC's campus housing operational plan, you will have oversight of daily campus housing operations, campus housing programming and administrative duties/reporting. You will be an active and visible member of the campus and student housing community and will work closely with campus housing staff across the province to ensure operational consistency and service continuity; campus staff (Student Services, Academic departments, Facilities, etc.) to provide a wide range of activities, services and supports to enhance the quality of the student experience; and student staff to provide mentorship and guidance as they help to create a safe and inclusive community environment. During the summer months, this role will provide oversight to our conference/guest services and will be a key partner in the marketing and promotion of this resource to the community.
In addition to the completion of a Criminal Record Check, including a Vulnerable Sector Search, the successful candidate will be required to live on campus and must be able to work flexible hours in office, on-call and within the building as needed.
What you'll need
You are a collaborative, team player who takes personal accountability to deliver on what is expected in your role and you strive for excellence every day. You understand your position as a role model to each of our students and as such, you demonstrate the utmost professionalism, integrity and respect for all persons in everything you do. You are committed to life-long learning, occupational currency and a belief in NSCC's mission. You bring a learning-centered perspective to everything you do. You think broadly, celebrate diversity of thought, and respect the uniqueness of individuals. You flourish in a dynamic, changing and sometimes ambiguous environment by keeping informed and connected within your role and the College. Is this you?
Qualifications and Occupational Experience:
- The minimum educational qualification for this position is an undergraduate university degree. An undergraduate degree with a focus in Business Administration, Management or Social Services would be considered an asset.
- You have a minimum of 2 years (full-time equivalent) of recent and related occupational experience, which includes experience in post-secondary student housing operations and/or management. Experience can also include housing program development.
- You have experience in areas such as on-campus housing hall supervision, emergency crisis response/management, training and mentorship of student staff and non-academic student conduct.
- You have experience developing and delivering Campus Housing programs and events, as well as student focused training that fosters inclusion and a respect for diversity. Previous support of summer conference/guest services would be considered an asset as a supplement to campus housing experience.
- You are familiar with and comfortable using computer applications such as the Microsoft Office Suite including Microsoft Teams, E-mail, Office 365 and SharePoint.
- You are comfortable working in a digital environment; you take responsibility for acquiring knowledge about advancing technology; and you are committed to using technology in advancing your work.
Relevant Skills and Knowledge:
- You demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- You possess excellent interpersonal skills and can interact at all levels of an organization.
- You are known for your superior customer service skills and can create a relationship of trust beyond the immediate interaction.
- Your superb team working skills enable you to contribute positively to a team environment
- You are known for your problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- You are a strong communicator both written and oral.
- You possess excellent coordination skills specifically related to campus housing administration, such as the ability to process and allocate rooms, manage active waitlists, prepare duty schedules, etc.
- You have strong conflict resolution skills and the ability to problem solve and make difficult yet informed decisions.
- You are self-motivated and able to work independently with minimal supervision.
The successful applicant will be required to submit a Criminal Record Check including a Vulnerable Sector Search (CRC/VSS) to HR, prior to starting employment. Any cost incurred in obtaining these will be at the applicant's expense.
Look for yourself
A little bit about us
Nova Scotia Community College
NSCC is committed to building Nova Scotia's economy and quality of life through education and innovation, transforming Nova Scotia one learner at a time. NSCC offers more than 140 career-oriented programs throughout the province at our 14 campuses, including our online eCampus. Programs are offered through five academic schools – Access, Education and Language; Business and Creative Industries; Health and Human Services, Technology and Environment; Trades and Transportation – and reflect the labour market needs and opportunities in Nova Scotia. NSCC's primary goal: student success. An annual survey of College graduates shows that 82% are employed one year after graduation, most in their field of study, with 94% of those employed living and working in Nova Scotia. NSCC makes things happen. We're growing the economy of Nova Scotia, we're producing highly skilled workers, and we're building communities. How are we doing it? By providing the most career-oriented education available in Nova Scotia today; by maintaining close links to industry; and by inviting exceptionally talented people to join NSCC's team of 2,000. Consider being a part of excellence in learning and having the chance to help build Nova Scotia's future while building your own. All NSCC positions are advertised every Tuesday and Thursday. To learn more about our hiring process, please follow this link.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
You will change lives. You will join committed individuals as we work to build Nova Scotia's economy and improve quality of life through education and innovation. As an NSCC employee, you will be part of that change.
You will find a place to grow personally and professionally with opportunities for professional development and collaborative projects.
You will do meaningful and challenging work in a publicly accountable and respectful working and learning environment that is diverse, safe and inclusive. You will have the freedom to enable innovation, improvement and excellence.
You will celebrate the uniqueness of individuals. NSCC campuses are located on the traditional territory of the Mi'kmaq People. Nova Scotia Community College values diversity and inclusion and is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates including Aboriginal/Indigenous Persons, members of racially visible communities, persons with disabilities, persons of a minority sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, and women. Applicants from these communities wishing to self-identify may do so by completing an online questionnaire with your application.
NSCC offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package. As a learning-centred organization, we provide opportunities for every NSCC employee to be a life-long learner. Candidates selected for interviews will be expected to provide at least three recent, occupational references. The successful candidate will be expected to provide official transcripts to show proof of academic achievements.
NSCC is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. As part of this commitment, NSCC will ensure that applicants are provided reasonable accommodations, as required. If accommodation is needed to participate in the job application process, please contact Jaclynn Kelly, HR Generalist, at [email protected] Our Employee Workplace Accommodation Policy can be found here.