Campus Library Technician (TS8)
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Libraries and Learning Commons
Term, Full-time Position: Commencing approximately October 10, 2022 and ending approximately March 31, 2023
Application deadline is 11:59PM, September 27, 2022
Competition No. 2022-376
Salary range: $41,992.10 to $48,893.61 annually
NSCC firmly believes a vaccinated population is a vital part of keeping us, our friends, families and communities protected from COVID-19 and the developing, fast-moving variants. As such, we recommend that NSCC employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
What you'll do
What you will be doing…
The Campus Library Technician reports within the Libraries and Learning Commons department of Student Affairs. This position reports directly to the Manager, Student Services at the campus level with a central functional report to the Manager, Libraries and Learning Commons and day to day guidance from the Campus Librarian.
The Campus Library Technician plays a key role in the delivery of library services, including, but not limited to, reference services, access services, library tours and orientations to groups or individuals and user education during all transactions. The Library Technician will provide document delivery services, maintain a reserve system, participate in aspects of collection cataloging and maintenance, circulate library resources, equipment and other materials, register patrons in Novanet and provide technology support and troubleshooting. The position will also maintain statistics, prepare orders and participate in the promotion of NSCC Libraries. As part of the Student Services Team, the Library Technician will be a part of student events, such as Orientation, Get Started, Convocation and more. This position also supports the delivery of Learning Commons services, programs, initiatives, and activities. This role supports NSCC students, employees, and alumni as well as external library borrowers within library consortia and the broader community
What you'll need
You are a collaborative, team player who takes personal accountability to deliver on what is expected in your role and you strive for excellence every day. You understand your position as a role model to each of our students and as such, you demonstrate the utmost professionalism, integrity and respect for all persons in everything you do. You are committed to life-long learning, occupational currency and a belief in NSCC's mission. You bring a learning-centered perspective to everything you do. You think broadly, celebrate diversity of thought, and respect the uniqueness of individuals. You flourish in a dynamic, changing and sometimes ambiguous environment by keeping informed and connected within your role and the College. Is this you?
Qualifications and Occupational Experience:
- The minimum educational qualification for this position is a diploma in Library and Information Technology.
- You have a minimum of one year (full time equivalent) of recent and related occupational experience in a library environment.
- You possess strong demonstrated experience with library applications, including library services platforms (ideally Novanet and Alma LSP) and discovery services (ideally Primo); online databases; internet resources; LibApps (e.g., LibGuides).
- Experience in an academic library is considered an asset.
- Experience with Novanet systems is considered an asset.
- You have strong demonstrated computer literacy skills including the Microsoft Office Suite, MS Teams and email.
- Copyright and open educational resources (OER) experience is considered an asset.
- Experience with assistive technology e.g., alternate format texts (AFTs), text-to-speech software, accessibility features in desktop and web applications and equipment is considered an asset.
- You are comfortable working in a digital environment; you take responsibility for acquiring knowledge about advancing technology; and you are committed to using technology in advancing your work
- Experience supporting/providing service to adult students and prospective students would be considered an asset.
Relevant Skills and Knowledge
- You demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion
- You possess excellent interpersonal skills and are able to interact at all levels of an organization
- You are known for your superior customer service skills and can create a relationship of trust beyond the immediate interaction
- Your superb team working skills enable you to contribute positively to a team environment
- You have specific technical occupational knowledge and skill in library applications including integrated library systems, discovery layers, subject guides and a variety of online databases and internet resources.
- You are known for your problem solving and critical thinking skills
- You are a strong communicator
- You possess excellent coordination skills specifically related to coordinating services, logistics and events.
- You have proven records and information management skills and abilities.
- Ability to assist learners in troubleshooting technology issues.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize in a fast-paced environment; effective time management skills.
- Demonstrate attention to detail.
- Strong communication, organizational, and facilitation skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; positive client service focus.
- Demonstrated professionalism and understanding of confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Adaptable and flexible; embrace continuous learning of emerging trends and technology.
- You demonstrate a strong commitment to excellence.
- You are dedicated to life-long learning to maintain currency in professional practice, emerging trends and technology.
- You demonstrate an ability to work in a demanding, fast-paced environment.
Look for yourself
A little bit about us
Nova Scotia Community College
NSCC is committed to building Nova Scotia's economy and quality of life through education and innovation, transforming Nova Scotia one learner at a time. NSCC offers more than 140 career-oriented programs throughout the province at our 14 campuses, including our online eCampus. Programs are offered through five academic schools – Access, Education and Language; Business and Creative Industries; Health and Human Services, Technology and Environment; Trades and Transportation – and reflect the labour market needs and opportunities in Nova Scotia. NSCC's primary goal: student success. An annual survey of College graduates shows that 82% are employed one year after graduation, most in their field of study, with 94% of those employed living and working in Nova Scotia. NSCC makes things happen. We're growing the economy of Nova Scotia, we're producing highly skilled workers, and we're building communities. How are we doing it? By providing the most career-oriented education available in Nova Scotia today; by maintaining close links to industry; and by inviting exceptionally talented people to join NSCC's team of 2,000. Consider being a part of excellence in learning and having the chance to help build Nova Scotia's future while building your own. All NSCC positions are advertised every Tuesday and Thursday. To learn more about our hiring process, please follow this link.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
You will change lives. You will join committed individuals as we work to build Nova Scotia's economy and improve quality of life through education and innovation. As an NSCC employee, you will be part of that change.
You will find a place to grow personally and professionally with opportunities for professional development and collaborative projects.
You will do meaningful and challenging work in a publicly accountable and respectful working and learning environment that is diverse, safe and inclusive. You will have the freedom to enable innovation, improvement and excellence.
You will celebrate the uniqueness of individuals. NSCC campuses are located on the traditional territory of the Mi'kmaq People. Nova Scotia Community College values diversity and inclusion and is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates including Aboriginal/Indigenous Persons, members of racially visible communities, persons with disabilities, and women. Applicants from these communities wishing to self-identify may do so by completing an online questionnaire with your application.
NSCC offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package. As a learning-centred organization, we provide opportunities for every NSCC employee to be a life-long learner. Candidates selected for interviews will be expected to provide at least three recent, occupational references. The successful candidate will be expected to provide official transcripts to show proof of academic achievements.
NSCC is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. As part of this commitment, NSCC will ensure that applicants are provided reasonable accommodations, as required. If accommodation is needed to participate in the job application process, please contact Nikki Berrigan, HR Generalist at [email protected] Our Employee Workplace Accommodation Policy can be found here: https://www.nscc.ca/about_nscc/policies_procedures/index.asp.
To apply for College jobs, click on the Apply Now button. First time users will be asked to set up an account with a username and password. There are three parts to your NSCC application:
- Your Profile. You can import your resume or your LinkedIn profile to help populate your profile (click Import Options, top right) or you can complete the profile manually. One thing to note if you are using a resume or LinkedIn; they may not import synchronously with the profile and you may still need to make some manual adjustments.
- Your Cover Letter and Resume. Towards the bottom of the Application tab, you will see a place to attach or write your cover letter. You will also see a place to attach your resume. Although these two sections say they are optional; they are not optional and are required for a complete NSCC application.
- Questions. Next to the Application tab, you will see a Questions tab. We will need you to complete these questions in order to submit your application.
Unfortunately, we cannot accept late or paper applications.