Administrative Assistant (CLA3)
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Department of Campuses and Communities
Continuing Full-time Position: Commencing approximately July 4, 2022
Application deadline is 11:59PM, June 7, 2022
Competition No. 2022-175
Salary range: $52,283.51 to $61,510.02 annually
Based on public health guidelines, NSCC has returned to more in-person learning, supports and services. You may be required to work on campus, remotely or a combination of both as the Academic Year progresses. This will be clarified further upon hire.
NSCC firmly believes a vaccinated population is a vital part of keeping us, our friends, families and communities protected from COVID-19 and the developing, fast-moving variants. As such, we recommend that NSCC employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
What you'll do
As the Administrative Assistant, you will have overall responsibility for day-to-day administrative functions and providing support to the office of the Principal, as well as the Manager of Administrative Services. You will maintain filing systems (electronic and hard copy), oversee expense claims and invoices; have calendar management responsibilities; be responsible for all meeting logistics and for providing confidential administrative support on various matters.
You will be responsible for coordinating and tracking information, taking and distributing meeting minutes and coordinating materials and meeting arrangements.
You will be responsible for coordinating and implementing some campus activities such as campus professional development offerings and business development/continuing education programming.
You are versatile, flexible and experienced in supporting administrative activities. This position requires a high level of initiative with an incumbent who anticipates needs and takes proactive measures within scope of authority. The incumbent is an integral contact person providing quality service to clients of the department.
What you'll need
You are a collaborative, team player who takes personal accountability to deliver on what is expected in your role and you strive for excellence every day. You understand our position as role models to our students and as such, you demonstrate the utmost professionalism, integrity and respect for all persons in everything you do. You are committed to life-long learning, occupational currency and a belief in NSCC's mission. You bring a learning-centered perspective to everything you do. You think broadly, celebrate diversity of thought, and respect the uniqueness of individuals. You flourish in a dynamic, changing and sometimes ambiguous environment by keeping informed and connected within your role and the College. Is this you?
Qualifications and Occupational Experience:
- The minimum educational qualification for this position is a Certificate or Diploma in Business or Office Administration.
- You have a minimum of 5 years of recent and related occupational experience.
- You are familiar with and comfortable using computer applications such as the full suite of Microsoft Office Software Products, E-mail, and PeopleSoft.
- You are comfortable working in a digital environment; you take responsibility for acquiring knowledge about advancing technology; and you are committed to using technology to create an exceptional student experience
- You have experience in training/facilitation preparation, and event planning
- Experience supporting / providing service to students and prospective students - preferably in a post-secondary learning setting would be considered an asset
Relevant Skills and Knowledge:
- You demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion
- You possess excellent interpersonal skills that enable you to interact at all levels of an organization
- You are known for your superior customer service skills and are able to create a relationship of trust beyond the immediate interaction
- Your superb team working skills enable you to contribute positively to a team environment
- You have specific technical occupational knowledge and skill in MS Office Software products.
- You are known for your problem solving and critical thinking skills
- You are a strong communicator both written and oral
- You possess excellent coordination skills specifically related to coordinating services, calendars, events, logistics, etc.
- You have proven records and information management skills and abilities
- You have strong project management skills and take initiative while demonstrating excellent problem-solving skills
- You demonstrate a strong commitment to excellence as well as exceptional communication and organizational skills
- You show a strong commitment to community involvement
Look for yourself
A little bit about us
Nova Scotia Community College
NSCC is committed to building Nova Scotia's economy and quality of life through education and innovation, transforming Nova Scotia one learner at a time. NSCC offers more than 140 career-oriented programs throughout the province at our 14 campuses, including our online eCampus. Programs are offered through five academic schools – Access, Education and Language; Business and Creative Industries; Health and Human Services, Technology and Environment; Trades and Transportation – and reflect the labour market needs and opportunities in Nova Scotia. NSCC's primary goal: student success. An annual survey of College graduates shows that 82% are employed one year after graduation, most in their field of study, with 94% of those employed living and working in Nova Scotia. NSCC makes things happen. We're growing the economy of Nova Scotia, we're producing highly skilled workers, and we're building communities. How are we doing it? By providing the most career-oriented education available in Nova Scotia today; by maintaining close links to industry; and by inviting exceptionally talented people to join NSCC's team of 2,000. Consider being a part of excellence in learning and having the chance to help build Nova Scotia's future while building your own. All NSCC positions are advertised every Tuesday and Thursday. To learn more about our hiring process, please follow this link.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
You will change lives. You will join committed individuals as we work to build Nova Scotia's economy and improve quality of life through education and innovation. As an NSCC employee, you will be part of that change.
You will find a place to grow personally and professionally with opportunities for professional development and collaborative projects.
You will do meaningful and challenging work in a publicly accountable and respectful working and learning environment that is diverse, safe and inclusive. You will have the freedom to enable innovation, improvement and excellence.
You will celebrate the uniqueness of individuals. NSCC campuses are located on the traditional territory of the Mi'kmaq People. Nova Scotia Community College values diversity and inclusion and is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates including Aboriginal/Indigenous Persons, members of racially visible communities, persons with disabilities, persons of a minority sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, and women. Applicants from these communities wishing to self-identify may do so by completing an online questionnaire with your application.
NSCC offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package. As a learning-centred organization, we provide opportunities for every NSCC employee to be a life-long learner. Candidates selected for interviews will be expected to provide at least three recent, occupational references. The successful candidate will be expected to provide official transcripts to show proof of academic achievements.
NSCC is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. As part of this commitment, NSCC will ensure that applicants are provided reasonable accommodations, as required. If accommodation is needed to participate in the job application process, please contact David Meister, HR Generalist, at [email protected] Our Employee Workplace Accommodation Policy can be found here: https://www.nscc.ca/about_nscc/policies_procedures/index.asp.
To apply for College jobs, click on the Apply Now button. First time users will be asked to set up an account with a username and password. There are three parts to your NSCC application:
- Your Profile. You can import your resume or your LinkedIn profile to help populate your profile (click Import Options, top right) or you can complete the profile manually. One thing to note if you are using a resume or LinkedIn; they may not import synchronously with the profile and you may still need to make some manual adjustments.
- Your Cover Letter and Resume. Towards the bottom of the Application tab, you will see a place to attach or write your cover letter. You will also see a place to attach your resume. Although these two sections say they are optional; they are not optional and are required for a complete NSCC application.
- Questions. Next to the Application tab, you will see a Questions tab. We will need you to complete these questions in order to submit your application.
Unfortunately, we cannot accept late or paper applications.
2022-237 - Faculty, Business Administration - Ivany Campus
Dartmouth, NS, CA
2022-233 - Faculty, Non-Profit Leadership - eCampus
, NS, CA
2022-238 - Faculty, Electro Technical Officer - Strait Area Campus
Port Hawkesbury, NS, CA
2022-235- Academic Chair (CL8) - Kingstec Campus
Kentville, NS, CA
2022-236 - Faculty, Carpentry Trade - Pictou Campus
Pictou, NS, CA